Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheapest Nitros

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MrArmyAnt, Dec 31, 2004.

1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    A friend and I have almost decided to replace the block, and use forged pistons to take nitros. What are the best systems for these beasts? Know where to get them cheap? We got to thinking about it, and with a lower gear ratio, new engine, and nitros we might be able to hold our own in the quarter, much less off road. Think of all the little mustang kitties that would be crushed :)

2. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

forged rods and crank also. All of which are spendy unless you can pick them up used and actually decent somewhere.

It takes green to go fast. Summit sells couple hundred dollar nitrous kits. What is the vehicle? K5s and pickups will only ever be so fast, they are heavy and have the aeros of a brick with another brick on top of it. And as for crushing Mustangs, on a low budget with any Chevy pickup, I'd LOVE to see that. My sister has a Mustang and I must say after driving that thing, my K5 would have needed one healthy big block to do what my sisters little econo dragster does with just bolt ons.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

no need for forged crank and rods. do your homework, and dont shoot too much, and you'll be very happy with it.

sled dog, i had a C10 with a mild built 355 in it, backed by a TH350 and 3.08 gears. it would definitely hold its own against a stock Mustang.

5. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Ooh, don't get me started on Rustangs. I'm a 94 vette owner myself, 10 years old and itll still beat the pants off a 2005 gt. cobras i have a problem with, but thats because its completely stock @ 24k miles. stangs only run about 15's i thought? my truck (silverado ext with 5.7 and high speed rear) will hold its own against em stock, not win, but not loose badly either.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

my sisters has run a 13.2 at the track with traction issues. They run 15s stock but its really not hard to get them into the 12s. I'd focus on other things before Nitrous. Nitrous is great and will work well but it will work better if you are already getting the max out of your motor. A nice intake, carb/tb, good flowing headers, good exhaust, cam all will make big differences for low buck(though not as low when all is said and done as nitrous. I'd say build slowly with things like headers and all then save and put nitrous on it. You will be way happier.

Once my S10 crawler is done my next project will be a C1500 shortbed chevy(88+). Big block, tubbed and all. Mainly cause I will be done school and use it as a basis to show off what I can do.

7. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

stangs run 15's stock or blazers?

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

stangs. My Blazer was probably a 20 second machine :D 2.73 rear and sm465 will do that to you.

9. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Stock 350 TBI , 700R , 3.08's with 35X14's did the 1/4 in 18.9 seconds at 70 MPH even :saweet:

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

wow 3.08s and 35s 18.9 I'm impressed.

11. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Not bad for having 260 000 km on the clock
    I have no history of the jimmy , it used to be a government truck:dunno: and I've had it just over a year now