Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheapest place to get 35 spline outers? Also what is best dana 60 U joint?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dawson444, Feb 22, 2005.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I am looking to do the 35 spline upgrade. Where is the cheapest place to pick up the stubs? (spicer 382871)

While doing this upgrade what is the best U joint to put in there with the 35 splines?

Also while your reading this, I want to say I remember somewhere about there being a slight clearance issue with the 35 spline upgrade and the hubs, or something like that. Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks!

2. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

best u joint? id prolly have to say CTM... thats what most of the comp guys are running in their 60's. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Why don't you skip the 35 spline outers and get Chromo 30 spline outers? They are as strong or stronger then 35 spline outers, you don't have to change your locking hubs, and you won't have the hub clearence issue.

The best ujoint available that I know of is CTM. After that I would say Ox, Bobby Long's, and then Spicer cold Forged.

Harley

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

someone educate me on this hub clearance issue? I've never heard of any such thing. Maybe on a Ford axle where you need to trim the shafts(if you buy Chevy or Dodge 35s for your Ford axle). How much are those Chromo 30 splines? How much are Chromo 35s? If you are running stock joints chromo shafts don't sound like a good idea to me. Don't want the weak point to be the u joint. If it fails it could easily take those high dollar shafts with it.

5. Silver84k5

there can be a problem with the stub hitting the Hub dial, and unlocking it. and i think it was fixed by using a different bearing Race. im sure a search in COG will bring it up, i know Watson was talking about it in there a year or so ago.

6. Silver84k5

Where would you want your weak point to be?

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

No where. But every upgrade moves the weakpoint. Start the 30 splines are the weak point. Replace them and its all the shafts. Chromos and CTMs now its the ring gear and carrier. Cryo them and then if you break something I don't know what would break :D

8. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

OH, Man...I got this one!

Ok, I think the best Ujoint is the CTM. That said, if you're running stock spicer shafts, you really don't need it. Instead go with the new 5-806X Spicer cold forged Ujoints.

The best place to buy is ORD. That said, FourWheel Parts will of course beat everyones price. In addition to that, when one of my buddies bought his 35 spline stuff from 4WPW, they sold him a lifetime warranty of everything he bought...hubs, stubs, Ujoints.

I recommend Warn Premium hubs. Simply the best locking hub available for this aplication.

Yes, the 35 spline stub will rub on the hub dial and cause the driver's side to engage itself. There are two ways that I know of to cure this problem.
    #1. Grind down the end of the stub a little at a time until you are certain that it won't touch, even with the stub shifted as far out as it will go.
    #2. With the $$ I spent on Superior axles, even with the assurance of Stephen Watson that it would not affect my warranty, I was hesitant to grind on my pretty new stubs. Instead, I bought 2 Dana 60 carrier bearing races and installed them in place of the inner wheel bearing races. They are identicle except that the carrier bearing races are about 1/8" thicker. Not only did I gain that 1/8" of clearance between the stub shaft and hub dial, but it also gives a little more clearance between the caliper and wheel...helpful if you are running 15" wheels.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Tim is pretty cheap on 35 spline shafts, if you don't mind dealing with him.

10. FWP

FWP CRS

4WDFactory has good prices. CTMs- if that's to pricey for ya, go Spicer Life series. Yep, the outers rub the cheap metal of the Warn lockouts.

11. Hossbaby50

Oh ya, and 35 spline hubs are weak.

30 spline chromo stubs are basically the same strength as stock 35 spline inner shafts. This makes the inner and outer shaft the same strength and a good ujoint will make your front end pretty damn strong.

If you need 35 spline chromo outers you need 35 spline chromo inners along with CTM joints.

I think the price on 30 spline chromo stubs is about $300. Call Moser or Superior. It will be roughly the same price as upgrading to 35 spline stubs and hubs with less issues. If you have the 30 spline Spicer hubs I would recommend it highly as the Spicer hubs are stronger then the Warn 35 spline's.

Harley

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

35 spline hubs being weak is a good vote for slugs ;)

13. Hossbaby50

Unless its a DD. Then slugs aren't the best option.

Harley

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm aware, I see your points and they make plenty of sense.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have had the lowewst priced 35 spline kit since the day I opened my doors.

16. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

how much:thinking:

17. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Relax lonnie, you already got yours. :D :D

18. NorthWestFab

NorthWestFab 1/2 ton status

We've got our own brand of 35 spline slugs coming out, don't really like the hub nightmare much.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I like that idea. :grin: :grin:

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you just want me to blow my life savings with your business :D