Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cheapest place to get drop pitman arm for crossover

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cegusman, Mar 13, 2003.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Where is the cheapest place someone has found the ford 4" drip pitman arm? The cheapest I have found was $80, I know I read a thread that you can get them for $40 where would that be?

2. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I cant remember for sure, but I think I bought mine from either Summit or 4WPW for about $45

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Mine was $40 plus tax at 4wpw. I just got it last week, so I know that they should still have them for that price. </font>

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

This $40 pitman, what taper does it have? 1/2 ton or 1 ton?

How much measured drop does it have? (from very TOP of arm, to TOP of dropped side being the measurement)

5. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> It's the Superlift 1104 arm that everyone on here gets... </font>

6. Waxer

Ok from a writeup I found, that arm is tapered for the 1/2 ton ends.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

8. Waxer

Actually he said it has the same taper is the ORD arm. Nothing was said about it being 1 ton vs 1/2 ton.

I went to a writeup on off-road.com/chevy where Shawn Spickler uses the Superlift 1104 arm and some 1/2 ton ends. That is enough for me to figure out that its tapered for 1/2 ton.

Here's the writeup ----&gt; Off-road.com Writeup

9. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

All TRE's are tapered the same the difference is in TRE's and DLE's Taper is the same on them, but the diameter is different.
    $40.00 is a screaming deal on that arm $45.00 is about the norm.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Well that's nice. Looks like I'm f**cked since I didn't read well enough. Now I need to try to find a damn shop around here that can retaper the thing. I got a Rockstomper drag link with the one ton ends. Dammit... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif </font>

11. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Does superlift make another arm like the 1104, but with a bigger drop?

12. Waxer

Butch, you are correct sir. When I had my other pitman arm in the machine shop, the tapered reamer that they used fit both the existing tapered hole before and after they were done. Same degree taper, just reamed out a bit more for the larger ends.

I just wish this reamer was a bit less expensive to get.

13. Waxer

[ QUOTE ]
    <font color="green"> Well that's nice. Looks like I'm f**cked since I didn't read well enough. Now I need to try to find a damn shop around here that can retaper the thing. I got a Rockstomper drag link with the one ton ends. Dammit... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

You have 2 choices. Replace the 1 DLE with a TRE and be done with it, or you can find a machine shop to ream out the hole for you a bit. It costed me $40 to have that done once before.

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'll have to check on the price of the DLE, if it doesn't cost too much then I'll just do that and keep the TRE that I got from Rockstomper for a spare. I swear, if it isn't one thing it's another... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif </font>

15. Waxer

You had it right the first time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The TRE will be around 20 bucks. Not a bad comprimise. It is what I would do in that situation until I came across a deal on a good reaming out of the taper on your pitman.

16. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, now I'm a bit confused. ROckstomper apparantly likes to put TREs on everything, including their drag links. I got a DLE for the steering arm side of my drag link since the Shanker arm is tapered for a DLE. The other end I assume is going to come with a TRE on it. So I need to replace that with a DLE, since that is what the superlift arm is tapered for. Do I have this right now? I'm sure that it will become apparant when I open the box up but we might as well clear this up on this thread for the archives... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. Waxer

The TRE = the smaller taper
    the DLE = the larger taper

It does get confusing a bit.

The Superlift arm is tapered for GM TRE (smaller of the two). If your draglink comes with a TRE, then you will already be set.

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, it looks like I'm good to go then. My Rockstomper stuff came in and the big long ugly old DRE end fits the steering arm, and the TRE is in the other end of the drag link so that should fit the superlift arm. It looks like the DL might have a little too much drop in it but we shall see, I assume that Rockstomper knows WTF they're doing. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif </font>

19. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Hey just swing ov er to the 4wpw by the astrodome and buy the SUperlift #1104. They didn't have it in stock but shipped it from the Dallas store and it was on my doorstep THE NEXT DAY /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I told them to give me a 10% discount since I'm a ck5 member and showed them my card and they gave it to me. I think my total price with tax was $42 and change.
    -- Mike

20. Flexy K20

Flexy K20 1/2 ton status

Anyone know how much drop these arms (1104) have? Thanks
    -fLeXy K20