Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cheater Bearings and bearing pullers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Jun 3, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    Ok in the new 4wheeler they have a geae swap article, and mention "cheater Bearings" for setting up the pattern. Sounds like a good idea to me but how much do they cost? I can't think of any practical way to bore a regular bearing and really am doubting they are common except from the source them mentioned
    The bearing puller they showed in the pic also looks like it would save me some time....looks easy enough to build but what exactly does the bearing hook on to. I see a adjusting bolt in the side. Is there a bearing splitter inside?

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

2. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I'm still waiting for my issue :-(
    What I have done in the past was buy a pinion bearing and have at it with a carbide burr and die-grinder then it was easy to get the depth figured out with out destroying the bearing every time you have to make an adjustment.
    See ya

my truck's not dirty, it's earth tone paint

3. K5RON

K5RON 1/2 ton status

Any machinist, worth his salt can do it to a standard bearing. He'll chuck it up in a lathe and use a radial grinder. He'll change it from a interference(press) fit to a slip fit. Get a set of carrier bearings done along with the inner pinion race. Of coarse, all this depends on which axle your working on! This is mostly for Danas. Corporate 14BFF do not need the "cheater" bearings. GM really had their head together when they designed this Baby! I believe the 10 Bolts have the shims outside the bearings, so no need there!

PS I'm not a machinist, I had a set done!

Good luck,
    Ron

4. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I'll have to mention that to out machinist....He was probably thinking of getting some that night or something when I asked him....

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

You'll still need the cheater bearings for the pinion gear setup. You can do these at home. Get an extra set of bearings for the setup your doing. Take those bearings adn clamp them down in a vise. Get a cylinder honing tool, put in on your drill and hone it out. Or you can use a round file and just file away till it slides on. The bearings are about 11 bones each.

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI