Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check 4x4 light

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rhino105amx, Sep 8, 2003.

1. rhino105amx

rhino105amx 1/2 ton status

Any one know why the 4wd check light would come on in a 2000 Tahoe with a np246 t/c?

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I think that light tells you that you are in 4x4 could the switch is stuck on
    /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Nope, the newer rigs have a "check 4WD" light, similar to the "check engine" light on our stuff. The new electronically controlled, electrically shifted, push-button-mode-selction transfer cases have their own on-board diagnostics. There ain't nothing like using an extra $800 worth of $h!t to break as a replacement for a good old solid shift lever poking up through the floor. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

But I don't know the magic incantation to find out what the light is trying to tell you, since I don't have a service manual for anything that new. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. crazykev4x4

crazykev4x4 1/2 ton status

It probly needs a switch on the dash . they go bad all the time . Take it to a dealer and have them check the code and if its a mode switch code u probly need a switch

Kevin /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. rhino105amx

rhino105amx 1/2 ton status

Thanks, will give that a try. Kind of tough, this is my G/F truck and I am in AZ and she is in Minnesota. Appriciate the help.