Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check Balls *mid process, please help*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BranndonC, Jan 31, 2005.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I took my th400 apart to install a shift kit, and realized theres only 2 check balls in when there should have been 6. How if I want to set this up to heavy duty stage 1, it says I have to get all 6 balls. Does anyone know where I can get these? Do they sell them at pep boys? I dont want to call and ask if they have check balls, they wont know what I'm talking about.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd call a local tranny shop. Probably have a bunch laying around.

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks, i went and got some:grin:

4. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i believe they are all 5/16" ball bearings, its been a while since ive been in a th400. you can get them at any hardware store.

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

these are 1/4 bearings

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my mistake. 1/4" does sound better. where did you end up getting them?

7. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

tranny shop gave them to me, but they were rude and treated me and the customers on the phone like we were un important, so I went elsewhere to get my filter... thats $8 they could have had! haha. i hope they go broke:blush:

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Our tranny guys are grouchy too!

Must be a "tranny repairman's syndrome"!--a few guys we deal with that fix tranny's are always in a bad mood too,I guess they dont like people who can fix them themselves,and need parts like the "check balls"--I often have to go see one tranny guy for the plastic clips for ford AOD detent cables,he seems to be the only place besides the dealer who has them(the dealer is always "out of stock,can get them in 2-3 days":surepal: )---once I told the guy,he should hire someone like me to answer the phone and wait on people like me who interrupt him from his work,I can understand how frustrating it can be to fix somthing when you get called away from it repeatedly--but being rude and grouchy isnt a good way to get customers--he told me he has plenty of work,good or bad attitude,and to leave me the F--- alone!!----needless to say,I only go there when I have too!--if he hates being interrupted so much,he should lock himself and the tranny he's rebuilding in a room,and unplug the phone!:frown1: