Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check Engine light on, doesn't send out codes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by RockyRider13, Jan 22, 2002.

1. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

Check Engine light on, doesn\'t send out codes

when i am driving for a while, and the temp gets up to around 210, the check engine light comes on in my 89. It doesn't always come on though, and when it does i can faintly smell gas (my imagination?). Anyways, the code scanner doesn't tell me jack when i check it with the engin off, it only spits out "12" any ideas??

Be a simple, a real simple man
    -Lynyrd Skynyrd

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Re: Check Engine light on, doesn\'t send out codes

Maybe try throwing a lower temp. thermostat and see if the lower temperature fixes it...does it only come on when the temp hits 210 or does it come on at lower temps?

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

3. RockyRider13

RockyRider13 1/2 ton status

MOST of the time, but it does come on at slightly lower temps sometimes (about 20 degrees lower, but never right after start-up while the engine is still cold)

Be a simple, a real simple man
    -Lynyrd Skynyrd

4. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

my 88 did that for a while, id drive for a good distance and the truck would get good and warm and it would come on. the exhaust smelled real rich after it came on too. at first it wouldnt spit codes but after it did it for a while it spit out the code(32 i think) for the EGR valve. i changed that and havent had the problem since.

Might be worth a shot.

Later

Have you driven OVER a Ford lately?