Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check engine light question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, Jul 29, 2002.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

I am now wiring up the Check Engine Light but I have a question. Does the check engine light wire from the ECM emit the ground or the power? I looked at the wiring diagrams and it shows that the check engine light wire also runs to the "D" pin in the ALDL plug. What I was thinking is if some could check the plug for me.

Thanks,
    Charles

2. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

ground., for an 88 should be the same for yours, i am sure because i'm wiring in the check engine light to the lt-1 ones computer, but do to other things being more important at the moment i haven't actually soldered it in so every time the bare wire hits the bare dash my chek engine light comes on.. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

3. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

88streetblaze,
    When you say bare wire do you mean the ECM wire or the LIGHT wire?

4. 88streetblaze

it's the wire that is an output from the ecm. right now it is not hooked to the ecm, just the light, and when it grounds out the light comes on. on the 88's the wire does not actually go the the aldl plug itself, there is a 6 plug connector that has most of the aldl wires, but it actually goes the the i/p., i haven't looked at my schematics for the 85/6 that closely, so it could very well be different.

5. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help and info. I'm sure the ecm wire is the ground because if the bare wire on the light grounds the light comes on. If the the ecm wire was the power and its not hooked up then that wouldnt happed. Right?

thanks,
    Charles

6. 88streetblaze

you've got it.

you would think they would specify that stuff in the wiring diagrams.