Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check Engine Light

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerWheels, Dec 19, 2004.

1. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

Comes on after about 15-20 minutes of Freeway Driving. Does not happen at low speeds, only after extended driving of 65 an over. The vacuum to the EGR is unplugged (and capped), would this make it think there is a problem of some sorts??? Truck runs fine, just the light decides it wants to shine. Any help is appreciated....

How come I can't find the smileys?????

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pull the trouble code with a paperclip (instructions all over the net on how to do this with GM OBD1 systems) and see what the ECM thinks the problem is.

It very well could be EGR issue. I'm not sure what happens with it unplugged. Seems to be one of those items that is "sometimes" an issue when it's not working right.

3. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I had the exact same problem. The code I got was a lean condition. I replaced my sticking EGR and 2 years later the light has not come on again. Why did you plug the EGR hose?

4. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

I had an issue of hesitation (more like stopping) from a dead stop, mechanic plugged it just to see if it was the EGR leaning out the mix. When he plugged it, the hesitation went away. Need to put on a new one, and have not yet, so I left it plugged.....