Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check it out...shoot to kill?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TexasBlazerBoy, Feb 12, 2007.

1. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

Bills filed to shoot first, retreat later in self-defense
    By Jim Vertuno/The Associated Press
    February 12, 2007
    AUSTIN (AP) — Castle Doctrine sounds like a medieval warning to invaders: Cross this moat and suffer the consequences.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]A pair of Republican state lawmakers now want to use it to revise Texas’ modern-day self-defense laws.

Sen. Jeff Wentworth of San Antonio and Rep. Joe Driver of Garland have sponsored bills to have Texas join more than a dozen states with the so-called "Castle Doctrine," a sort of shoot-first, retreat-later approach to defending hearth, home, truck and business.

Essentially, the Castle Doctrine is born out of the common-law theory that a man’s home is his castle and he has a right to defend it.

And although Texas already has some of the broadest self-defense laws in the country, Wentworth says his bill would expand the legal rights of crime victims to protect themselves, their relatives and their property from intruders in their home, occupied vehicles or business.

It would create a legal presumption that an intruder is there to cause death or great bodily harm and that victims have the right to use deadly force. He says current law in some instances imposes a duty to retreat before using potentially deadly force on an intruder.

"I believe Texans who are attacked in their homes, their businesses, their vehicles or anywhere else have a right to defend themselves from attack without fear of being prosecuted and face possible civil suits alleging wrongful injury or death," Wentworth said.

More than a dozen other states have written the Castle Doctrine into law and the National Rifle Association is among those pushing for Texas to join them.

"It is fundamental that honest, law-abiding citizens know the law is on their side if ever they are faced with danger from criminal attack," said Chris Cox, the NRA’s chief lobbyist in Washington, D.C.

But critics deride it as a "shoot-to-kill" bill that allows for more violence and removes a tool from prosecutors.

"It’s not Castle Doctrine. That’s in the home and you have a right to defend the home," said Peter Hamm, spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "This is the Kingdom Doctrine and you can kill someone anywhere in public. That’s a far cry from the home."

Legal experts wonder if they change is really needed.

Jerry Dowling, a criminal justice professor at Sam Houston State University, said state law already protects self-defense of life and property, particularly in one’s home, or castle.
    "I’ve lived in Texas 30-plus years and I would be astounded to hear of a Texas jury that convicted someone who blasted a guy who was in his house," Dowling said. "It would just be anathema to the culture down here."

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

sounds good. I don't think a victim of a crime should ever be in a legal **** sandwich because he/she defended themself and shot the dumbass perp. Be it in your own house, in your car, at the mall, at school, in church, in a park, on the subway... or anywhere else.

j

3. TexasBlazerBoy

TexasBlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

True.

In my CHL class the instructor told us to expect a night in jail and a civil trial, at the minimum. He says it would probably run you around 10k to protect your self from some meth head

4. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's already shoot 1st, ask questions later in my house. Any statute that they want to pass that furthers that right, even just a little, is ok by me.

5. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

You got to love Texas :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: !!

6. gibby2268

gibby2268 1/2 ton status

Ours is already like that in Tn..if someone enters your home, it is assumed that they are not there to engage you in deep conversation.

7. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

already like that in fla also, used to be "you have to try and get away or feel threatened and have no flight chance" now, it's "if you're in reasonable danger, shoot that stupid sonofabitch and let the cops figure it out"

8. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

KS law you can meet force with force, but deadly force must still meet the death/great bodily harm clause.

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

not 100% sure what the law is here in WA. Jason's Law says 'challenge all intruders... anyone who doesn't immediately run away or drop to the ground and surrender gets a double tap.' If things are happening to fast... say a home invasion scenario for example... then ya just start blasting and ask questions later. I keep my 12ga on one end of the house and my H&K USP on the other... ain't no way to bust in and block me from getting to my gunz. :) I almost feel sorry for any gang of thugs who thinks they are going to do the home invasion thing on my house. Mr. 12 guage says "get that crap outta here".

j

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Two firearms in Condition One in this house, one in Condition Three.