Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check my gear contact pattern please *UPDATED*

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by randy88k5, Sep 10, 2005.

1. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, images are a little blurry. Im at my parents house now, so I do not have any photo editing software. Please resize it if its too big. I can take more if needed...

IMG_0599.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

damn, those are big, sorry :doah:

3. FreedomIsntFree

FreedomIsntFree 1/2 ton status

Here ya go...

I don't know how to determine gears...but i'm sure someone will jump on this.

gear1.jpg

gear2.jpg

4. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  5. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

6. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

good link, I need a dial indicator :o

7. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Ok, I increased the backlash, but I ran out of marking compound. They only give you a ketchup sized packet in there. Only good for a couple of runs. I used some red moly grease. Doesnt cover as well, but I hope it works. Here are the updated pics.

O yeah...I added 0.005 for more preload too. Felt a bit tighter getting it down into the case.

I resized them. Thanks for the simple program MTChevy.

I think they look OK. Anyone else???

IMG_0602 (855 x 642).jpg

IMG_0603 (855 x 642).jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  8. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Steve, I got mine from Grainger for $90, nice one with selectable magnetic base. Ive seen some decent ones on ebay too for less.

9. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

you dont coat the whole gear. you need only 5-6 teeth at a pop. thats why you are out of compound. :p:

10. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

yeah yeah yeah, I know. I put too much on the first time, and man, that crap gets everywhere. It stick to everything. Got it all over my dads camera too :doah:

11. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

you can pick up a magnetic base for about $15 and a dial indicator for about $20 from Harbor Freight.

12. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

try taking a picture from further away, or try going into manual focus mode, I cant see crap.

13. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Son, step away from the camera!
    But seriously, try and get some better pics. That pattern, from what I can see of it , looks kinda weird. On a couple of the closest teeth it looks like the contact is close to the end of the tooth yet further up the face on others??? Optical illusion?
    Take more pics and only use a real thin smear of compound on 5 or 6 teeth. Clean all that muck off and pattern it afresh.

14. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

OK, I got some new markngs and pictures. Youre right, it almost looks like the pattern changes when it turns. What could cause this? I havent done the final cleaning yet, but I was careful not to get dirt in the shims and the ring gear. I did not remove the pinion, just swapped the carrier for the ARB. Anyway, here are the new pics:

IMG_0605 (855 x 642).jpg

IMG_0606 (855 x 642).jpg

15. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yeah that still looks a bit strange to me. They can't/shouldn't throw an un even pattern as far as I know. PM "READYMIX". If he's not away working (navy) he may have some ideas. He really helped me out. Certainly knows his stuff on axles.

16. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

You need to put some load on the gears when turning them to get a pattern, try and put a big prybar or screwdriver and wedge it against the ring gear while turning the pinion gear.

From the pictures it almost looks like you have too much backlash, whats it set at? you want to be set around .006-.010", also make sure your carrier bearings have plenty of preload.

17. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Recheck the torque values on your ring gear. If for some reason they are not all torqued to spec this will make the pattern irratic as the ring gear is actually flowing and not true/flat to the carrier.

18. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Since i could not reply to his last night i sent it to you in a PM

19. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Looks as though your pinion depth is to deep. Your are to much on the toe side. Keep the backlash at around 7 thou. Try reducing your pinion depth and repost pics.

20. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

Sucks that you did not get my PM. Hopefully i can get all the same thoughts out again.

- Recheck the torque on the ring gear bolts.
    - Did you re-use the original carrier bearings? Hope not.
    - Are you fully torquing the bearing caps on before checking the pattern and/or BL measurements?
    - Check the pinoin pre-load and check for any wobbeling of the pinion. I doubt that you bent your pinion but i have seen the pinion bearings go bad. That will cause exactly what you are seeing with your pattern. If your u-joint at the pinion yoke ever went bad, IE siezed up, or broke, then you should change the bearings. The stresses of a siezed joint can cause the race to get wollowed out.
    - It is hard to tell from your ppics but either you have the pinion too deep or the BL is way too little.

While adjusting the BL and pinion depth (if needed) you should use setup bearings. Everytime you remove a bearing with a press and puller you should toss it in the trash. Unless you are using one of the high dollar ring type pullers often mentioned on PBB. A regular clam-shell puller will damage the cage everytime.

When you apply the marking compuund, mix it with gear oil to make it a little thinner. It will make the pattern easier to see. Just don't make it too thin or it will run all over the place and cover the pattern. Also i like to apply a little pressure to the carrier and spin the pinion with a cordless drill/socket while running the pattern. It makes it consistant.

Any other questions just ask.