Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check my shopping list please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rolled, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

I am placing a pretty big order for my brakes and both diffs. I would like any opinions on any parts I left out. Its been a while since i dug into the diffs and would not be surprised if I forgot anything.

I know its impossible, but I am hoping to get my order 100% the first time :) so I don't have to go back to the parts dtore the usual 5 times lol

Here is the story. I am replacing all servicable parts in the diffs except the gears, pinion bearing, axle bearings, and front axle diff seals. No parts that require setting up the gears... I am also replacing the braking system except the vac booster, lines and the proportioning valve.

It is my goal to replace everything except what I noted in red.

Here it goes:

brakes
    2 rotors
    2 drums
    2 calipers
    2 wheel cylinders
    pads
    shoes
    master cylinder
    That should be it for the brakes. Pretty sure I did not miss anything

rear diff
    wheel bearings
    tube seals
    pinion seal
    gasket
    gear oil
    I think I am ok here too

front diff and related parts- here is where I am a bit cloudy
    2 upper ball joints
    2 lower ball joints
    front drag link end
    rear drag link end
    left and right tie rod ends - are these called something else? partsamerica.com on lists parts for 2wd but they are listed as 4wd...
    2 inner bearing cups
    2 inner bearing cones
    2 outer bearing cups
    2 outer baring cones
    2 seals -any help on these. The site lists them as $3 each but the last time I bought some they cam in a kit with a couple pieces. I can't really remember. Do you?
    2 front axle ujoints
    pinion seal
    diff gasket
    gear oil
    thats all I can think of for the front. Am I missing anything?

2 ujoints for the rear drive line.
    none for the front since I am getting a new dline made

That is all I have on my shopping list for now. Can you think of anything else I should add while I am at it? Most importantly, did I overlook anything that will require me to tear appart the front again? I really don't want to do it twice :)

Any help, advice, opinions, dreams, or scolding will be appreciated ;)

2. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

oh yeah -

1982 K20
    14sf
    10 bolt
    350 m code
    stock tire size
    4.10's (I think)
    8400 gvw
    single cab long bed
    no AC
    I think that should cover it :)

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

I know you said no lines, but for the brakes, consider the rubber hoses. :thinking: Obviously brake fluid and not-so obviously, brake lube for the moving parts (caliper slides, etc).

I'm not clear what you mean about the TRE's from partsamerica.com, but yeah, there should be two. Some of the older trucks had one loooong side, an adjusting sleeve, and a short side, but I *thought* the newer style was one short TRE on each side, two adjusting sleeves, and then the long bar that you don't replace.

Ah, looking at my trusty LMC catalog, the 81+ style is indeed ONE long adjusting tube (not a wear item), plus two nuts and two TRE's, the driver's one having the hole for the steering damper. I can scan it and get you their part #'s if that helps.

-- A

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

rear shoe hardware kit. does both sides. and left and right adjuster kit. need left and right kit. diffrent parts.

diff cover gaskets will be black rtv.

get moog parts if possible. as you dont want to replace ball joints again any time soon.

and if you want smokin deals on bearings and races send a pm to ( nowparts) on ebay. thay have super deals on bearings and seals. timken and national. i got my bearings and races and seals for my 14ff hubs for 1/2 the parts store prices.

also www.northernautoparts.com has full front end reman kits for better prices than most parts stores. thay use to in there flyers. might need to ask them.

other than that looks great.

5. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

forgot about the brake fluid. Thanks

I should get some soft brake lines while I am at it. Another $30 :)

The TRE problem is just the website i order parts from. I'll just have to go down in person to make sure I get the right ones. Too bad since the price will be higher if I buy it in the store. The nice part about the online order is - I pick out what I want, pay alot less for it, then go down to the parts store and pick it up the same day. Only down side is the website is not correct all the time...

6. Rolled

Rolled 1/2 ton status

harware kit is a good idea too. I'll try to get a shoe kit that comes with hardware. Chances are a spring or two will be broke. Not sure if I still have extras lying around... I just moved and everything is lost :(

7. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you are replacing everything in the way of brakes in the rear, why not switch to discs?