Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check out my cage in the 70

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MJF, Apr 7, 2003.

1. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

Double post, but wanted you guys to see the cage.

CLICKY

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Very nice Mike!
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

I'm sure you're very happy now.

Greg does awsome work! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. TED

TED Registered Member

Wow! that came out really nice, you can't sell it now. Thanks again for selling me your bike, I'm going riding again today after work.
    Ted

4. stacy#1

stacy#1 Registered Member

who built this cage and how much did it cost.

5. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Mike I hope you have the tarp over your Blazer today, It just poured 10 minutes ago.

6. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    who built this cage and how much did it cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

....I'll give you a hint. The pics are in MY gallery! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. stacy#1

stacy#1 Registered Member

Greg72 nice roll cage. You do not know anyone here in Arkansas that could build one of those. I like the style of the cage. My blazer does not have one and I would like to put one in it. Any advice would be great. Thanks

8. vaulter

vaulter Registered Member

What kind of pipe did you use? How did you bend it? Was it amanual pipe bender? I'm looking at fabbing a cage myself. What problems did you encounter?

Vaulter /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. Robin

Robin 1/2 ton status

What are the specs on the tubing?

10. Greg72

The cage is made with an assortment of DOM Tubing (not pipe)...the majority of it is 2" (.125" wall), the seat cradles and gussets are 1.5" (.125" wall) and the grab handles are 1.0" (.125" wall)

DOM is about 30% stronger than conventional HREW tubing....and extra strength on something as critical as a rollcage is a welcome thing.

As for "problems".....well, I'll leave that for you to discover for yourself, there are just too many variables for me to guess where you might get stuck... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I use a manual bender (Pro-Tools Model 105) so fatigue is a problem! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Beyond that, it's all about experience and planning ahead. You WILL make mistakes on the bends and waste material.....that's not very funny when the tubing is $3/foot, but it's part of the "learning" you'll have to do....

There are really a lot of things that can go wrong, and that require good design and planning to avoid...I guess my advice is just don't try to rush it. My first cage took about 3 weeks to build...so did my second one. I'm getting a little faster these days, but it's still NOT a fast project to do.

11. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

Let me know when your ready to tackle another one Greg /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gifI have another test bed for you to hone your skills on /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. 82GR8WHITE

82GR8WHITE Registered Member

Hey there
    I am interested in building a cage. Yours looks fab. Have you tried vertical ram tube benders. the pm 105 looks complicated and expensive. does it work like a vertical ram or are you bending the tube around the curviture of the die?

a lot on my mind /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

13. Greg72

From what I understand of benders.....the giveaway to whether a bender is for "tubing" or "pipe" is the die setup.

I've seen benders that use a hydraulic jack to push a round die into opposing dies to create a bend....but I believe that's for pipe not tubing.

All of the TRUE tubing benders seem to "wrap" the tubing around the circular die and draw it through a straight die....

I can appreciate what you're saying about equipment costs....my bender setup was around $1200 with dies, welder adds another $1000, plasma cutter $1800, Hole Saw notcher $400.... it's a LOT to spend to only build ONE cage, which is why I started to do them for other people too....it makes the expense easier to justify. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

14. 82GR8WHITE

82GR8WHITE Registered Member

Hey
    Thanks for the info. I ran accross a site that was very interesting while finding out about tube bending. It looks like the hydraulic ram with the two dies sandwiching the tube works pretty well. Does anyone have plans for building one that they can share with me?

Another idea is to use the really cheap vertical ram press like the ones at harbor freight. There is a suggestion that filling the tube with sand and capping the ends will help prevent distortion of the tube. Has anyone tried this? I imagine it would act like an infinitely adjustable mandrel and should work with any type of bender. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Anyway here is the link... These guys in the UK build some cool grass buggies (sand rails) and there is lots on tech! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
    http://forum.locostbuilders.co.uk/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=3084&page=1