Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check out my fender trimming idea

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5thatShmobs, Dec 4, 2002.

1. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Click here for some pictures of last weekend's fender trimming results. I cut a pretty good amount out, and I kept the wheel well... I cut notches along the edges and bent back the segments to make them flush. Soon Im going to fill in the slits with some filler and then undercoat the entire well. Should look clean.

2. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

That looks really good--looks like you took your time and did a great job /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Be sure and post pics when you fill in the slits and do the undercoating would like to see the finished inner fenderwell. Keep up the great work /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

That's exactly what I was thinking about doing since I have rust in the upper part of all of the wheel wells. Looks cool.

5. rogerwilco71

rogerwilco71 1/2 ton status

I don't need to, but you make me want to trim my fenders /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Can't wit to see more pics..

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I did something similar to run my 35" with 2.5" lift, but now I am removing the whole front sheet metal, going with an engine cover and some home made flares to keep it legal and run 40" with the same lift.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Looks nice!

So you're going to fill the cuts in the inner fenderwell with body filler? I don't think that's going to hold up for very long, it's probably goig to fall out in chinks pretty quickly. Body filler isn't really intended to fill gaps like that. If you want to make it look nice I'd suggest either welding the cuts up or fiberglassing it. </font color>

8. K5thatShmobs

K5thatShmobs 1/2 ton status

Ill only fill in the gaps for the notches that I made on the wheel well layer... the inner fender layer above that I think Im best off just leaving alone. Ill post pics as soon as I get some time to get working on the truck again.

9. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I am removing the whole front sheet metal, going with an engine cover

[/ QUOTE ]

What is this engine cover you speak of? Is it home made or does somone make it. I hacked my fenders some more and removed my inner fenders to fit the 42's, so now I'm lookin for a way to shield my engine when things get wet.

10. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Tack weld it together, remove the entire thing and get some brazing rod and braze it up. The body filler won't last long.

If that's too much like work go get some urethane for windshields and use that with a putty knife. You can make it look almost as good as body filler and it'll flex instead of crack and fall out. I use urethane all over the place. It doesn't paint for [censored]. Plasti-kote bedliner sticks to it though.

11. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah it's going to be home made.
    I am building a cage around the engine and fabbing a cover with aluminum sheeting, and fasteners.

12. MilpitasK5

MilpitasK5 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. chris672

chris672 1/2 ton status

Looks good but it looks like your tires are still going to hit in on the lower portions of the fender. You probably didnt need to cut any off of the top of the fender, tire usually doesnt hit there unless you have a ton of flex.