Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check out my new bumper pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Mastiff, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Mastiff

Mastiff 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Here's my new backyard built bumper. It's actually just a piece of 2x5 1/4" thick rectangular tubing with plates welded on the ends. The design is for simplicity, and I got it tucked up and in about as far as possible.

Now, how to mount the license plate.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mud390

mud390 1/2 ton status

Very nice! I like the smiplicity of it all. Looks sharp! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Kris

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

vary nice. Im more of a fan of channel iron bumpers but that nice! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

very nice looking bumper /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Very nice, clean, simple, i like it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Very nice...I like it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif However, without a hitch, I'm kinda surprised to not see some tabs for a recovery shackle or something to that effect. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

7. Mastiff

Thanks for the compliments! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Very nice...I like it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif However, without a hitch, I'm kinda surprised to not see some tabs for a recovery shackle or something to that effect. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I went around about this. I had a hard time finding premade clevis mounts, and when I did find them, they would have doubled the material costs for the project all by themselves. We just didn't have the energy to cut our own from plate using primitive tools /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif).

Since the frame is so accessible right under the bumper, I may just get a good piece of thick plate and mount it to the same bolts that mount the frame, then drill a 3/4" hole for some clevis's that I'll keep in the truck.

In the mean time, I can loop the yank strap around the whole bumper ... assuming the other guy that I'm pulling has hooks.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    Now, how to mount the license plate

[/ QUOTE ]
    Zip ties! My plate, plate light, & back-up/rear rock lights are all mounted to the top of my square tube bumper w/ zip ties.
    [​IMG]
    If you need a close up let me know and I'll take one this w/e.

9. Mastiff

Yeah, I had my plate attached with zip ties for a while with my other bumper. It kinda scared me once when one of them snapped and it was dangling by the other one. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

After that I tapped a few screw holes and screwed it in. It kills me to drill into my new finish though. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif