Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check out my new (to me) trucks I bought...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by divorced, Feb 9, 2006.

1. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

*Flame suit on*

The blue one is a deal I learned about from a forum member (name withheld unless he says it's ok). It's a '76 F350 with a 390 and a 4 speed with a 4.10 geared Dana 70 rear axle. Ya, it's awesome. Many people think I'm crazy, but I'd like to restore it to capable tow rig status.

The white one is a '78 F150 with a 302 and a 3 speed manual with a 3.00 geared 9" rear. It's cool too. I'll probably swap the body to a 4x4 frame I have.

Link to all pics http://photobucket.com/albums/f22/f-series/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My mirrors rock!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Cool 1 ton. Now all you need is a 427 block with a 428 crank and you have a 454 Ford engine that looks like a 390!!!

3. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Nice trucks, Ive always loved that style Ford. That 1 ton will be a pullin machine..

4. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Sorry, I can't quite make out what kind they are..................................:wink1:

5. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

They are 4 letter F words.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

4 letters??

"Farm" trucks huh??..:wink1:

We had a F350 very similar to the flatbed one at the junkyard..it was made into a ramp truck by welding 2 ramps from an old drive on car lift together with 3/8" plate between them!..it was bolted solid to the frame,whoever built it did a nice job bending the ramps down in the rear gradually,so cars would not scrape bottom as they were pulled up onto the ramps..it had a 30K lb. PTO winch,and we put a 390 from a 64 Galaxie in it,with a granny tranny 4 spd!..also had 20 leafs in each rear spring..wasn't much you could not haul on that truck..I think it had 4.56 gears..it wound out at 55 like crazy!..

We squashed a school bus with the forkloader and stuffed it on it,and drove it 3 miles to the crusher at another scrap yard..the bus weighed in at 8,600 lbs!..only the motor and tranny were missing..we cut the frame into 4' peices and tossed them into the bus..truck drove like it was empty!..it was overweight empty too..weighed almost 8800 lbs empty!..

We junked a LOT of stuff with that truck..I loved the winch..just load a car on it,then loop the cable over the roof of the car,hook it to the back bumper of the ramp truck (6" pipe!) and let the clutch out..I could crush the roof right down to the floor like nothing!--I bet it could cut a car right in two if you wanted it too..:eek1: ..

7. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

People can say what they want but those mirrors are the best

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Yes I agree and I know a local zoo that needs them for their chimpanzie exibit...:D :bow:

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Whatever dude... you're mad cuz you don't have any for your caddy. :D :haha:

Could you imagine how cool it would look with a jungle gym hanging off your doors? :haha:

10. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

On the F-350, you gonna get rid of the in-cab fuel tank too? I sure would.

11. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

No, I actually like it there. My '72 Chevy has the tank behind the seat also... and I have no intentions of changing it.

12. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Why? :rolleyes:

13. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

*shudders* As much as I like beater trucks, that's one thing I would not want for the safety factor. Gallons and gallons of flammable liquid right behind me with no real barrier of any kind while doing 60-65 mph or more does not suit my fancy. :eek: But go right ahead if that doesn't bother you. :D

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

It's cool with me. I have never heard a stroy about someone burning to death in their truck becasue of a gas tank.

Think of the benefits - you can weld/grind under your truck all day long with having a fire, the tank will never rust, the tank is never in the way under the truck...

Don't take this the wrong way, I appreciate your concern, but the tank just doesn't bother me that much.

;)

15. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

...oh, and I don't think this old F350 could even get up to 60 mph :haha: :haha: :haha:

16. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

not to mention you will always know when you forget your gas cap :haha:

17. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

In cab tanks...eh...

I had in cab gas tanks in my 56 Chevy 3200 series pickup,and a 71 K1500 GMC I had..I never cared for the tank being in the cab with me..even if it never leaked a drop,I'd always smell gas in the cab..and was fearful a dropped cigarrete would blow me up..but I'm still here 20 years later..

One advantage of an in cab gas tank is it helps hold the rear wall and the cab floor together after they rust away!..when I pulled the tank on my 71,to patch over a rusty floor,the cab dropped 3" as soon as I took the last bolt holding the tank out,and I had to PRY the tank out!...I'd rather have my fuel tanks under the truck,or in the bed ,not riding in the cab with ME..:crazy: