Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check out my new tool box!!!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Oct 12, 2005.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I got it yesterday. It has the stainless top and drawer guards.

[​IMG]

2. MTChevy

MTChevy 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I like it!

3. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Nice . how much?

4. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Nice. Wish I had room for something like that. Ho wmuch did that set you back. Last time I looked at a SnapOn box the driver was persistent in selling me that box. All I would have had to put down was 2k and would finance the other 10 for me. :crazy::crazy::crazy:

5. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Sa-weeeet!

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i dig the stainless... thats the same size rollcab i have on the bottom... enjoy it! :D

7. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

That SOB is sweet! :waytogo:

8. unclematty

My old SO dealer was on very good terms with me (I just paid him 14 k cash to pay him off) he made me a kick butt deal on a used deisel mech box, a little bigger thenthe one in the pic above and only 2500.00 and of course he "allowed" me to use a truck account, i paid it off two weeks later and he was happy and I'm still using it today, almost 10 years later!

9. K5MONSTERCHEV

Its basically new, a couple weeks used. The box was like 4600 and the top was another 500, I dont know how much the drawer guards were, but I got it for a little less then the price of just the box, and man, that tax kills you. We dont even have room in the shop for it, so on saturday, we are going to do some clean up, haha. Snap On boxes are expensive, at first I couldnt belive it, but worth it, the Mac boxes are very cheap in price, and also quality. I am very happy that I spent a little more for a good quality box. Im only 20 and hopefully it will last a looooong time. I think the size is going to be just perfect too.

10. K5MONSTERCHEV

Just curious, those of you who are techs and make you living wrenching, how much do you think you have in tools?

11. ryoken

50 to 60 g's... but i've been buying tools over 25 yrs...

12. unclematty

I worked as a tech for over 10 years, got tired of watching the owners of numerous shops rip people off. so I went out on my own for a while then decided to take up wrecker driver, and have been turning wrenches on the side ever since, back in school now to get A&P certified (aircraft mech),oops back on ??? I have about 40k in tools enough to do anything I want or need. The cool thing is all paid for, no payments :D

13. uglyangelracing

uglyangelracing 1/2 ton status

I have almost the same one minus the stainless. Love it

14. jolane

jolane 1/2 ton status

Very Nice Box! I like the color scheme!
    Like you, I also think that the Mac boxes are a little cheap. I do like the Matco boxes though!
    For my garage (I am not a mechanic) I have two Waterloo Magnum, the medium size (two columns of drawers, the right side narrower). These are a great box for a home shop, where cost and performance must find a compromise. Waterloo used to make boxes for one of the big brands (I think it was Matco), and they are make the Craftsman boxes. Mine is equivalent to the Craftsman Professional series, just different lock.
    I just though I would throw that out there if anyone is looking for a good box for a home shop.
    Joshua

15. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

You know what's funny? Look at the pull handle on a Snap-On KRL series and look at one on the Mac Macsimizer. They are the same exact handle.
    I just got a 40 inch Craftsman Ball Bearing Griplatch, top and bottom. Great box. Feels the same quality as my buddy's KRA and wayyyy cheaper.

Niiice box though, man. Good color scheme!

16. ryoken

huge dif between the KRA's and KRL's.. my boss runs the KRA series, i'll stick with my KRL stuff.. much more of a "pro" look imo......

i would guess the Maczimizers are close to a Snap On box.. i always assumed they where, i know the prices are close... i just consider Snappy slightly higher end..

17. botboy

botboy 1/2 ton status

Don't *really* make a living from my tools (currently going to school for an automotive engineering degree) but I do an awful lot of work on cars for friends, myself, various fab and repairing farm equipment. I'd guess a replacement cost for everything somewhere in the 17-18k range, though I have a lot more welding/fab equipment than most guys that just wrench do. I also get a lot of my stuff used, broken, or ebay, so I've paid considerably less than 18-19k for all of it. I'm 20 years old BTW.

Most expensive tool I have:
    Lincoln Ranger 10-LX (kubota) Engine drive 250A AC/DC/CC/CV power source & 10Kw gen
    Repl. cost ~4-6000
    Paid $549 (with broken lift pump & an easy-to-fix electrical gremlin)

Edit: no debt either, at least on my tools. Student loans already in the 20k range.

18. K5MONSTERCHEV

Thanks. My boss was saying someting the otherday about Waterloo stuff and how it was good. I think your right he was saying somehtig how they were related to Matco.

Are you sure? I worked over the summer for a guy who had a Macsmizer and the handle was completely different, more round and instead of square, shallower, and the "lock" on the drawers suck, in my opinion.

Yeah no kidding the other guy has the KRA, its a little cheaper, the construction is cheaper, not as sturdy and the sliders arent NEARLY as smooth, its more liek a craftsman box.

19. Kiwi John

Kiwi John 1/2 ton status

IMO you can never have enough tools. as long as you can see a need for a new tool, buy it. It will come in handy one day.
    Tool boxes with drawers are the best way to keep organized, even in the truck. I used to have to work out of one of those 'barn' type tool boxes where you open the top and all your tools are on toip of each other. then I could aford a drawer type box and now I have 7 boxes of various sizes all with drawers and wished I had one sooner. nothing wrong with buying second-hand tools as long as they are in good condition and at the right price.
    I have about £10k invested in hand, air & power tools incl welders. (approx $20k).

20. wasted wages

wasted wages 3/4 ton status

The Tamale Wagon !!! :bow: :bow: :bow:

Man I love that box!!! I used to have one when S/O first came out with it!!
    Had the matching top box for it too,,great box,,worth every penny !!!

Enjoy it :D :D :D