Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check out my TPI in 72 K5

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therobzilla, Oct 23, 2001.

1. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
  3. hirider34

hirider34 Registered Member

Hey, how much of a hassle was that swap? I have a full 350 TPI out of an '85 vette, but had heard they were less desireable than some of the newer ones. Let me know how it went, or send me a PM. Thanks.

Why buy it if you can build it better?
    All Give Some. Some gave all. God bless the fallen Brothers in the FDNY.

4. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>What year is that off of? I have a 91 setup in my garage waiting for winter. Did you use the stock tank or a tank from a TBI K5? What pump are you running? What did you do about the VSS? Who made your chip?

5. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    I did the same swap in Jan. of this year.Put it in my 71 Blazer(SBC 350).The TPI is from a 91 Camaro.Speed density system.I used my stock 71 Blazer tank,just plumed the external fuel pump as close as possible to the tank and lower than the tank.No problems with fuel starvation at all.In fact just last week I had the fuel gauge at empty for at least 10 miles and didn't notice any signs and symptoms of fuel starvation.The Co. I bought it from (Jim's performance, http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292391623

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

6. therobzilla

The TPI is off a 92 Camaro, Speed Density. I used the stock fuel tank, and used an in tank fuel pump off the same 92 Camaro. The fuel pump was quite the challenge, but it works like a champ. I also used the VSS off the same Camaro. I got the wiring harnes custom made from Fuel Injection Specialties in TX. The harness was well worth the money. It was very complete and had no shorts. I was going to use an external pump, but it creates issues with vibration and it must be below the fuel tank in order to keep the flow correct. The key is the CAM, you must have a TPI cam in order for the computer to operate correctly. The cam is the brains of the system, especially with a speed density system. The swap was not as hard as I thought it would be. If you can change a cam you can swap a TPI. I used the speed denisity system, because the mass air flow systems are harder to plumb for the correct air flow, and on a blazer thats tough when you have an onboard air system like I have, and two batteries. I will post more pictures this week.

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Great work. Have TPI on my '79 406 K5............link below.

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com>www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com</a>

8. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>How did you get the camaro pump into your stock tank? Also, how did you adapt the stock VSS?

9. therobzilla

biggrey71,

I purchased a new sending unit because I did not want to go through the headache and then find out the sending unit did not work.
    I cut the sending unit above the sending unit lever and below the sending unit lever. This was to shorten the overall unit lenght. Then I used a piece of MPFI hose to attach the pump to the lower portion of the fuel pump. The call this the insulator. On the higher portion of the sending unit, I use the same theory and used another piece of hose to attach to the higher portion of the unit. For the electrical connections, I took the old sending unit electrical feed and cut it and soldered the positive feed for the fuel pump to it and drilled a hole in the other portion of the sending units top cap. Then I soldered the negitive feed to the exising pickup tube and was done with it. It looks and works great. No gas leaks and it's working like a champ.

The fuel pump does fit down the exsting hole in the gas tank, it just takes some patience to get it down without bending anything.

Hope this helps.

10. therobzilla

The stock VSS was the easiest. Just cut the stock unit off the old car. It has two wires. It does not matter what wires are connected to what wires at the ECM. I had to add the wires on the ECM pinnout, and took some old wires off the old harness and added them to the correct pinnout location on the harness. All the VSS does is tell the computer is weather the truck is moving or not. It helps with the RPM idles. Without when you shift into gear the ECM takes around 3 seconds to slow the idle enough not to slam the trans into gear.

It helps quite a bit.