Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check out the 1-ton deals I found in the ad trader this week...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by steelsoldiers, Sep 24, 2003.

1. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

I called a guy from the trader and talked to him for about 15 minutes. He has a whole bunch of trucks sitting in the yard behind his house. Here's some of the things he's selling:

Chevy Dana 60, 4.56 gears, auto hubs, NEW IN A CRATE, complete for $1000 /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Used Chevy Dana 60s, various ratios $700 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

1980 K30 dually cab and chassis, 4spd, 350, runs and drives, good title, 4.11s, $2500

1986 K30 single rear wheel, 4spd, 454, cab and chassis, salvage title, runs and drives, 4.56s, $3500

SM465s, NP205s, etc... all ripe for the picking

What sounds like the best deal here fellas? Any year better than the rest? With the dually, I'd have to run hummer wheels. I figure I could sell a running 454 for a decent amount to recoup some cash, or sell my 6.2L and keep the 454...

There's also a 1980 K20 without engine in the Trader for $300. I could buy that and the "new" Dana 60 for my complete running gear package. Hmmm... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

85 or newer gets you the bigger axleshafts in the dana 60.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    85 or newer gets you the bigger axleshafts in the dana 60.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sweet...I got em without even trying.

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol me too.

as to the axles guy, if I was you, I'd snag all the D60 fronts you could get... especially that new one. See if he'd cut ya a deal if you get them all. You could definitely score some $ by reselling them and come out with what you want for yourself at the same time! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

5. steelsoldiers

I thought about scraping some cash together and buying them all up. I think he has four of five of them. Now, where am I going to get that 3 or 4 grand /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I just gotta see this "new-in-a-crate" Dana 60. $1100 ain't bad when you consider that all I need to add, hopefully, is a pair of locking hubs. It sure would be nice to buy one of the trucks though, so I could get everything I need in one package, but his prices are a little high for a complete vehicle.

6. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

See what he would take for two of them and three of them I may know a guy here that would like one as well if you buy 3 of the used chevys mabe he will come down to 500 or 600 for two never know till you ask let me know If he does it would be good for both of us I need one for my tryck and would drive up to get it.
    Earl

7. steelsoldiers

Good thought, I'll check it out and see if he'll deal. Are you more interested in a SRW or a DRW Dana 60. He has both. Do you need a 14-bolt, or a tranny, or T-case, or anything else? I think the more stuff I buy, the better the deal will get. He said some guy from down south wanted to buy everything that he had, but he just kept calling and calling, and never showing up with the cash. Finally the guy just told him he sold everything to get rid of him. I'll call the guy this afternoon and see if I can go look at the stuff tonight. It's been in the trader for a few weeks so I don't think it's going anywhere too quick.

8. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Sounds like good prices to buy at if you are going to use it. If you want to resell you prob won't make much. If you don't plan any upgrades for the 60, I'd get the new one (assuming all is well w/ it). If you are going to change gears, add an ARB, HD tie rod, CTMs, aftermarket knuckles... then I'd look at one of the others. As always, plan before you spend.

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Offer him a package deal where you haul ALL of those 1 ton trucks and parts for one set price of, say, $5000 and see what he says. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. steelsoldiers

Hey might just say yes, scary /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. If he did, and I got all that stuff, I would have to spend a couple of weeks in the ICU to recover from the savage beating that my wife would give me /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif. Seriously though, I could probably get a couple grand together. If I had a wad of cash and said, "I'll give you all this for a couple of Dana 60s and that K30 /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif to haul them home with," he may just bite. Or he might shoot me for insulting him and bury me under an old truck in his back yard. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif There's only one way to find out. Any of the rest of you guys near Charleston, WV and want to put together a package deal with me?

11. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

new d60 sounds great....

i can get d60 fronts with 4.56's here for $500 and with a locker for $1000

heck i paid $500 for my parts truck with lift, 38's, front d60, 14bolt, rollbar, tube bumpers.... drives.... complete 79 gmc k35!!!!!!

12. steelsoldiers

Great deal on your parts truck!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That's unreal. I haven't seen one below 2 grand yet /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I am thinking about offering him 2 grand for the new Dana 60, a couple of used Dana 60s, a tranny and a t-case. We'll see what happens then. I think that's a pretty good deal. I printed off the complete BOM list from Pirate 4x4 to take with me so I can make sure what I am looking at.

13. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

Wish I could find a D60 here for 500 I cant find one at all I have to buy a hole truck but if he can get a package deal in in for it. I am trading my doge 200 for a 2 14 bolts and a d44 from a 3/4 ton for my 68 chevy its going to be my tow rig. so if he gets a good deal on a d60 im going to have a spair d44 laying around.

14. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Great deal on your parts truck!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That's unreal. I haven't seen one below 2 grand yet /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I am thinking about offering him 2 grand for the new Dana 60, a couple of used Dana 60s, a tranny and a t-case. We'll see what happens then. I think that's a pretty good deal. I printed off the complete BOM list from Pirate 4x4 to take with me so I can make sure what I am looking at.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks... here is what she looks like....
    [​IMG]

p.s. I may have bought it for $500 but i got the 14bolt and my front d44 w/4.56's sold for $250 so the following list cost me $250 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

here is the list of what i am getting...
    Front D60 ( dont know the gear ratio yet )
    radiator
    dual gas tanks
    tank wiring
    gauge cluster with factory tach - tach aint workin but hey just got to replace the gauge itself /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif
    tube bumpers
    rollbar with lights
    dashpad ( 1 lil crack on a 79!!!! )
    gauge cluster cover
    steering wheel
    gearbox - hydraboost brakes - wanna try and use it for ram assist!!!!!
    seat - no tears - red so will use a cover /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif
    tail light covers
    stupid stuff like carb bolts
    headers and exhaust

you can see pics here...

http://68.45.114.100/parts_truck

what ticks me off is that i got this great deal... got a few parts on my truck.... i even have been fixin gauges that havent worked ever.... fuel gauge works now for dual tanks, just got the oil gauge workin today... but now my motor has a rod knock!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

sucks.. i have had this motor for 1 year out of a 1991 caprice police car with roller cam/lifters and i started it up yesterday and the biatch just all of a sudden while runnin got this loud clankin noise!!!!!!!

15. thatK30guy

Boy, I just wished I lived closer so I could lend you the money. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

16. steelsoldiers

Nice one! Well, I just scratched my plans for looking at those axles today. It's pouring the dang rain again /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. I'm going out of town tomorrow, so this saga will continue early next week. Stay tuned, same Dana 60 time, same Dana 60 channel /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. thatK30guy

[ QUOTE ]
    Stay tuned, same Dana 60 time, same Dana 60 channel

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, Batman! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. earl87gta

earl87gta 1/2 ton status

PM me when you find out. Im definitly interested in one. I can also get you a 205 transfer case if you dont get one from him.
    Earl

19. steelsoldiers

Hey guys, an update for you. There are a couple more ads in there this week from a different guy. I'm going to check them all out and see what happens. I'll keep you all posted, as long as it doesn't rain all week /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif, or snow... /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

20. benny

benny Registered Member

Hey, I'm very close to WV and very interested in some of this stuff.. Where exactly is everything located?? Feel free to email me.. buggy@vt.edu