Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

check out the detail on this one

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bajaviking, Sep 4, 2006.

1. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

2. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

holy crap, i wonder how many hundreds of feet of filler rod they used to build that chassis

3. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

With all of those wash welds I'd guess there's 75+ lbs of filler in that chassis.

4. bajaviking

When I see pictures like this I begin to understand why these trucks are so expensive to build and I also begin to get a stiffy:D

5. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

ok noob question here, what is filler rod and why is it used?

6. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I wonder how long that took to make? It would take me two to three life times to do!!!!

7. bajaviking

Filler rod is a thin steel rod used when Tig welding to add material to the weld.

8. 1BadK-30

1BadK-30 1/2 ton status

I see, thank you very much. :waytogo:

9. skidpan

skidpan 1/2 ton status

can any of you explain to me how the drive train is set up on that thing..
    it has a rear engine, but the rear ?swing arm? seems to mount to the chassis in the middle if the engine..

10. y5mgisi

y5mgisi 1 ton status

i especialy like the front shock upper shock mount.

11. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

home fabricators take notes, there is a wealth of education in these pics for sure. granted we rock crawlers wont be doing 140 through the desert but the quality of your rig and you surviveing a serious crash or roll over, posibily miltiple times depends on how well you build it.

look at the welds, the stacked coin method you here people decribe is actually a weaker weld unless the overlap of the weld pool (each dab of filler rod) overlaps the previous weld pool by atleast 80 to 90 %. I see welds here on ck5 all the time where the weld is only overlaped by as little as 40 to 60% of the previous weld pool. you end up with this wide/narrow effect which is a weaker weld. you see in these pics their welds are consistantly the same width the entire length of the weld.

even a mig weld should be this consistancy too. guys that mig weld that do this type of method of welding do the same thing, too big of seperation in the weld pause.

you also see where everywhere there is a bolt the contact point of the bolt head and nut is double walled to eleminate pull through and add rigidity and strength to the structure. all most all the gussets are of tube rather then a plate type gusset on the center of the tube so in a wreck you wont get a narrow gusset actually punching through a tube. a single plate type gusset only contacting one wall of a given piece of tube is weaker then a tube gusset which uses the full width and structure of a tube.

some joints have the tube with a bend radius in the tube right at the point of contact of the ajoining tube instead of just a straight line into the ajoining tube with the end coped. this gives a bigger surface area of contact and more weld in the weld joint, hence a stronger joint.

every bolt is in a double sheer situation not single shear, again much stronger.

Im not saying build your rig like a trophy truck at all Im just saying look at the pics, there is a lot you can learn from them about structural integrity and design for sure. there is a reason why that truck was built like it was. it was not built like that from day one in racing, there built with this extreme type of construction because they evolved over time and FAILURE and probably some or alot of trial and error to become as reliable and indestructable as they can be considering there intended racing environment.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2006
  12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

definitely needs more nodes and triangulation. :grin:

j

13. PeteH

PeteH 1/2 ton status

ssshhhhaaaawingggg

14. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

RG is a fan of using boat type V-Drive gear boxes. There may now be a purpose built gearbox, but early-on they were all V-Drive boxes. Which is why the diff opening in the housing is so far offset. The V-Drive box lives under the driver's feet (& a little further back if ya kno what I mean :eek1: ).

A note on those welds; In desert race fab they employ a "wash-weld" technique. What that means is TWO passes. Frequently those passes are two different welders. The high guy on the totem pole does the fitting and the root pass while a low guy does the wash-weld as that takes longer than most fitting & root welding. The root pass is as described above. Then the second pass weaves back and forth over a width of 2X-2.5X the thickness of the base metal. The idea is to widen out the bead & give it a larger radius fillet so that the weld is less of a Stress Riser, and the desert guys think it looks cool.

I've long speculated that another bonus in using a bent piece of tube for a gusset (like up at the top-outer corner of the windshield) is that the bent is slightly less rigid than a straight piece would be, and that's a good thing. It lets the chassis tweak a little and come back to square rather than forcing permanent deformation. Ideally the chassis would be totally rigid and that wouldn't be needed, but the reality is that if you build in a little flex the chassis will live a lot longer. Bare in mind that these are 4130 structures and unlike a mild steel chassis, those do have a set life span.