Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check out the new trailer

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by littlejimmythatcould, Mar 23, 2007.

1. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

Here's my new to me trailer that I picked up for $1600. It's a 16 footer 10K. I can't put my truck on it yet because the previous owner put C rated tires on it (he had a jeep). So I need to get the E rated trailer tires to properly haul the Jimmy. But for now it will serve as a portable front yard since my base's housing office finally issued me a yard ticket this week and now I have to move my "junkyard" (in their words) somewhere else :doah:The lights don't work but I will try to rotate them in the plug to match the diagram on my new truck's plug and then maybe they will work. It needs a little TLC (and a coat of paint), but it was better than buying a new 10k for $2700. Add one more project to the ever growing list....

3-16 001.jpg

3-16 002.jpg

3-16 003.jpg

2. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

that is nice, i am gonna need one soon when the 3/4 ton is finished that way i can trailer the 1/2er to the dunes and not worry bout breakin it

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I dont think that is a 10K trailer. It has 5 lug wheels which is usually 3500lb axles so that would be a 7K rated trailer. My 7K rated trailer is the exact same tires and wheels. 10 K rated trailers generally have 6 lug wheels.

Harley

4. twoslo4five0

twoslo4five0 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

x2 i own a 10k myself it has 6 lug axles....14k trailers go to 8 lug...

5. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

x3 I have a 7K thats 5 lug, and a 10K thats 6 lug.

6. littlejimmythatcould

The front on the tongue says 10K. I wouldn't have bought it if it wasn't. Not trying to get snippy, let me go out and snap some more pics of the tag on the trailer so we can verify what it is or isn't, I"m new to trailers, but I saw 10K on the front tag information. I moved it over to RV storage so it might be a few days before I can post up. Thanks.

7. Hossbaby50

The coupler on the tongue may be rated for 10K but the axles are what give the ultimate rating on what the trailer can handle. If the axles are only rated for 3500lbs each then you could have a 20K coupler but still only have a 7K rated trailer. You need to check the axles for there rating.

Harley

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

That is the more common set up. You also should get 16" wheels with a 10K.

Measure the diameter on the brake drums and look for a tag on the axle. The weight rating is usually stamped right on the trailer. That is a more sure bet than the tongue.

9. littlejimmythatcould

Yeah, I'll probably go check today. It's over at the base RV lot. Thanks for the info. I know the guy I bought it from has had a big 3/4 ton ford with 38's on it and a jeep with no problem for years (other than he was using the wrong tires :doah:which I tend to rectify before using it for heavy use). I tried to check the axles for tags before I bought it but couldn't see anything.

10. littlejimmythatcould

Here are some pics I snapped this afternoon. The tag information usually found on the inside of the tongue or on the sides of the tongue from the manufacturer has probably been long gone because it is about 10 years old.

3-27 001.jpg

3-27 002.jpg

3-27 003.jpg

3-27 004.jpg

3-27 005.jpg

11. twoslo4five0

yep you got a 10k tongue and 7000 lbs axles...the way to tell is dot makes all 4 wheels have brakes when it goes to 10k...this is an option for 7k but not useually found...you only have brakes on one axle which makes it a 7k...plus its 5 lug....this is my trailer and its 10k....http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=196020....hope this helps a lil...

12. littlejimmythatcould

Awesome :angry1: I'm pretty pissed. Oh well, I'll still use the hell out of it with some good E rated tires. I spent my trailer money on it so I'm screwed until I can get enough money to buy another one. I'll probably go with a goose neck style for my next one since I just bought a new 07 F-250 diesel that will handle the gooseneck. You live, you learn. I'll have to make it work. Unless I can find a broken trailer to get the axles off of.

13. twoslo4five0

You live, you learn. I'll have to make it work. Unless I can find a broken trailer to get the axles off of.[/quote]

thats been my motto for a long time....some people pull a fullsize with a 7k....i used to never had a problem....it all depends on the rig though..

14. littlejimmythatcould

Like the amount of extra steel and skid plates? I only plan on running 4 to 6 with 38/12.50/16.5's. I think the E rated tires will help out. I'm more worried about blowing out a tire than braking a trailer axle. And I could always look into putting a second set of brakes on the other axle, it has the place to bolt it up to. Once my wife gets done with nursing school we'll be able to afford a nice trailer. I kind of spent a lot of our future money on my new tow rig. I'll post up a thread on that tommorrow after work.

15. Hossbaby50

It is definitly doable towing a fullsize with a 7K rated trailer. I do it and many of the people I wheel with do it. A second set of brakes will probably help out a fair amount and will only cost about $300 from what I am told. The tires are a good area to focus. Get good tires and keep them in good shape and you should be fine.

Harley

16. littlejimmythatcould

Yeah, I priced them for about $105 a tire for E rated trailer tires. The trailer currently has C rated car tires on it. Ya'll are making me feel a little better. I was pretty bummed out yesterday. I wanted the 10K because everyone is like "you gotta have a 10K", but I'll haul my junk on it until it falls apart. Thanks a lot for the info and support :bow:

17. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

put brakes on the rear axle, new E rated tires and call it a day. if the tires hold the weight and the brakes stop the trailer you shouldn't have any problems with the springs or axles.

check this out. you can get 5200 lb axles with everything for $350 each. thats new axle,brakes,springs, just need some wheels and your done.

http://abctrailerparts.com/bigaxles.html

18. littlejimmythatcould

:thinking: Hmmmm..... perhaps.... Thanks for all the info guys. I'll save that link :bow: Hopefully here in the next month or 2 I can scrape together a little bit to get some new tires. Thanks again, you guys are awesome. :bow: