Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check out this '76 on eBay...I've never seen this before

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Craig Artzner, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

This truck is 4WD. But I've never seen a 4WD truck like this that doesn't have the protruding front part-time lockout hub or just the protruding fulltime axle (with the chrome cap where the lockout would be). This truck uses the same hubcaps on the front as on the back. All the 4WDs I've seen and owned require open caps on the front. If you click on the link there is a frontal shot where you can see the front pumpkin which confirms that the 4WD claim isn't a mistake...:thinking: Nice old truck, mint interior.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-Chevrolet-1500-4x4-39000-original-miles_W0QQitemZ190098622723QQihZ009QQcategoryZ90965QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

[​IMG]

2. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

fulltime 4wd with drive flanges :dunno:

3. chevy wrangler

chevy wrangler 1/2 ton status

6" lift with 35"s would be nice on it

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

If you look at the hub caps carefully you will notice they are protruding enough to cover the full time flanges.
    76 was full time with the auto which I believe this one is :D

5. Craig Artzner

I have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. I own a set of the exact hubcaps in that picture. 2 of them look identical to the ones in the picture, and two have open centers to allow for the front hub assembly to slip through. I have since taken them off in order to run dog dish caps.

I know for a fact that those caps pictured won't fit over a manual locking hub and I'm pretty sure they won't fit over the same hub with a chrome cap on it either... :thinking:

I'm 95% certain on this. I'll have to measure mine when I get home...

6. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

did you read the ad?

It is a full time 4 wheel drive pickup with a 350 engine, automatic transmission, new tires and battery

drive flanges.

7. Craig Artzner

Ok I should have worded it better. What I mean is that I've never seen a fullsize '73-'87 4WD Chevy truck that did not have the large 3.5" diameter cylindrical hub mechanism that protrudes through the hubcap. As far I've ever known, full-time 4WD means that that hub has a chrome cap over it and part-time 4WD will have a lockout on it. Either way the hub still penetrates the hubcap. What I'm seeing in this picture is new to me so I'm just trying to get some insight.

Drive flanges. Is that something that would take the place of that large, protruding hub? I don't know this that's why I'm asking. I've not heard that term enough to know exactly what it is.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The drive flange fits inside the hub under the chrome cover, and it saves about 1.5" of protrusion.
    I am sure that the hubcap will fit over that one.
    You could call the seller and have him take the hubcap off and take a pic of the axle.
    And I say all that respectfully, if you haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist, there is always a first time. :D

9. Craig Artzner

Here are some pictures that throw me for a loop. These are 1974 ads for Chevy trucks. These pictures represent what I see when I see a fulltime 4WD GM truck with the the chrome cap on the drive flange. As you can see the hub even with the chrome dust cover sticks out beyond that particular hubcap.

What would be the difference between the front hubs on these trucks and the truck at the beginning of this thread? They all seem to have the same hubcaps. Does that '76 have a special flat drive flange that fits under the hubcap that wasn't available in '74? :thinking:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

well, your still wrong. the hub caps on ebay look like they have enough room for the hub and flush chrome cover. your first pic you show, at the top, shows a 2wd truck.

11. Craig Artzner

I have not yet posted a photo of a 2WD truck in this entire thread :confused:

If you're talking about the drawing in the ad at the top of the first picture that's just to illustrate disc brakes. That was a two-page ad that I cropped in order to display the front hub on the truck in the photo. The actual truck pictured is a 4WD Blazer. The Suburban in the lower photo is also obviously 4WD...if that flush chrome cover fits under that hubcap than why doesn't the Suburban have the same hubcap on the front that's on the rear?

What exactly am I wrong about?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2007
  12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

The hub cap on this suburban is not the same as the one in the ebay add, and yes the ebay hubcap has enouh room to fit the full time 4wd flange but not the part time outer locking hub.
    Anyway, it was a nice debate, i hope you don't feel bad the way we tell you you are wrong...:D

13. Craig Artzner

I cried myself to sleep last night Iceman...:haha:

But I'm still not convinced :thinking: There is something else under that hubcap on that green truck. I'm emailing the seller...drum roll please...

14. buefchris

buefchris 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

To be continued........:haha:

15. Craig Artzner

Well I got an email back from the seller and he is 3 hours away from the truck and could not give me a picture of the front hub. Crap.

So for now, you guys have won :o

But this isn't over yet. You haven't seen the last of me and my crackpot theories...:haha: :haha: :haha:

I will triumph in the end. And if not...I guess I'll just go down in flames.

16. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The truck probably has an external hub dana 44, like this -

[​IMG]

The fulltime version uses a gear that bolts in place of the hub assembly, and it's an inch or two shorter than the hub in this picture.

Here's a picture of a later model internal hub dana44, taken from the same source as the first picture, so you can compare both types-

[​IMG]

17. Craig Artzner

Hmmmm...could be :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

18. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I've seen lots of 3/4 ton trucks with full dish hubcaps covering the full time caps. Matter of fact, there's one truck an old guy bought new back in '74 or '75 and I just noticed lockouts protruding past the freshly cut hole in the hubcaps on his truck. Turns out he had the 203 converted to part time and its behind a 465 tranny. The cut on the caps look crappy as it looks like someone took shears to them.

I've never seen a 1/2 ton with dish caps covering the full time caps though. Only on 3/4 tons. I guess the caps on the 3/4 tons are deeper allowing them to cover the hubs better.

19. Craig Artzner

20. Craig Artzner

Last edited: Apr 7, 2007