Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check out this E-mail quote from Boyce!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4GUNZ4X4Z, Mar 14, 2001.

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Holy shnikeys. This is what I e-mailed them:
    <blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Subj: Estimate? update
    Date: 3/11/01 9:06:24 PM Central Standard Time
    To: boyce@gowheels.com

I've got an 84' fullsize Blazer K5. Can you give me a quote on a front dana60 with a full detriot locker, 5.13gears, warn lockout hubs, 1350 output yoke, u-bolts, and spring plates. Also a 14bolt full floater with a detriot locker, 5.13gears, disc brake conversion, 1350 output yoke, u-bolts and spring plates, with the spring pads at 42.5" from center to center shipped to 73122.
    I'm shopping now for these axles, and I'm starting to think it's going to be easier to just order them how I want them instead of rebuilding them myself. If I left out any specs that you need please e-mail me and I will respond.

<hr></blockquote>

This is what they e-mailed back:
    <blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Subj: $
    Date: 3/14/01 3:13:25 PM Central Standard Time
    Reply-to: boyce@gowheels.com
    To: REDMYK@aol.com

Michael,
    Front axle with your specs is including hardware, hubs, 513 gear, Detroit
    locker is $3300.00 complete.
    14-bolt rear with locker, disc brakes 5.13 gear, hardware, is $2500.00
    complete
    shipping is $188.51.
    Total package $5988.51
    This will be a great set up.
    call me anytime
    Mark

<hr></blockquote>

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yeah... they ain't cheap at all... Kinda a big rip off if you ask me. Why not try calling to some local or other 4x4/off-road shops in the state... or talk to K30 guy... hey can rebuild them and find them for ya... he had a post on it a while bet. Was a great deal.

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

3. Cliffy

Cliffy Registered Member

Did they even offer a kiss after trying to F#@K you like that. Sheesh!!! The front isn't too far off, when you consider how hard it seems to find one, but the C14FF...PLEASE the same set-up could be had for about $1500.00 or less if you take the time to scavange the parts......hmmmmm

I guess a good deal is a only good if you're happy with what you get......

this my personal view point, and is completely ment to be in good fun and humor. I appologize if anyone is offended by anything stated.

Coil sprung 71 blazer.

4. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Believe me I can find cheaper way cheaper. I was just curious as to what price range they where asking. I figured around $3500-$4000, but $6000 they must be smokin some good CRACK.[​IMG]

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. bigerik

bigerik 1/2 ton status

Maybe the guy was just doing a quick, safe quote. I'll bet if you called him and said you had a stack of cash in front of you (don't we wish[​IMG]), you could have haggled a little, gave him some sob story LOL and gotten a package deal! I paid $4,000 for my Dodge 4,500 lb. front D60, and I haggled and begged at every stage. The rear was a little off, but Detroits are $$ and setting up gears is $$. It would be a sweet setup!! Can you say traction?

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I got my whole K30 (minus diesel) for just over half the price of the C14. No lockers and 4.56 but I got new ball joints, outer bearings and such. Well, that's why I started with a K30 instead of a Blazer...

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

7. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I found a rear d60 for $350 a couple of days back, I'm starting to think I need to go get it with a quickness and forgetting about the 14ff, what do guys think?

8. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Stick with the 14FF, cheaper, more mods available for it. Stronger.... :)

9. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Start adding up some prices on this stuff, it's not totally off. For the rear, keep in mind that the gear set alone for 5.13's is near $300. And every rear axle they get has 4.56's in it, so anything else a pricey upgrade. A good disk brake kit is about $700, and some will ream you for more. Moving spring pads was $70 when I got my 14FF in 1995ish, so it may be a little more now. Ubolt plates and ubolts will run you about $60 for the rear, and probably $150 for the front. I don't think Boyce sells the upper plates with the front axles. Stupid if you ask me, but......
    So for the rear, if you figure some labor, it's not terrible. For the front, it almost looks like you could order their standard open 4.56 axle and buy the upgrade parts and have them installed. But it wouldn't be far off if you did that.
    No matter what you do, gears cost a lot. And you're asking about a totally premium setup. The only thing you could add is 35 spline stubs and hubs.
    Anyway, I'm going home

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

That's about right for Boyce. I got a quote a few weeks ago from them. $3379 for a D60 front w/4.56 gears, ARB & Warn Hubs. $160 for spring pads. The rear 14-botl w/4.56 & open diff is $1450!!

Too rich for my blood!

I'd just like to know how axles have gone from $1750 (D60)& $1050 (14blt) in 1 year.

Brian
    89KBlazer

11. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

so who is better here...boyces or dynatrack?? i would like to get dana 60's front and rear......i not to worried about price yet...i have a few years before i will be able to get to collectin the cash anyway.

Chaz

"Hondas look good under a k5's tires"

12. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Well, everyone talks about how hard-to-get D60's are anymore, what do you expect? With every other Heep on the rocks having either F / R D60's or F D60 / R 14BFF they are getting to be a commodity. I guess some of these Heep builders must have MANY HUGE credit card bills!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Well, you do know what Jeep stands for, right?

Just
    Empty
    Every
    Pocket!

[​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

14. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

If you did this yourself you'd end up spending $4000 for parts icluding the front and rear axles. I think your forgetting about, axle bearings, set up kits, seals, brakes, u-joints in the front, king pin kits. I just went through this process with front and rear Dana 60's. I wish I had just ordered the axles from Boyce. It took me many hours of labor to clean up and assemble these axles. $1800 for labor is not out of line. If you take an axle out of a truck with 150,000+ miles on it and slap it on your K5 with 35+" tires on it you're going to break stuff.
    CB

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I guess depending on how you look at it, I wouldn't call it horrible pricing.....but it is very expensive. I'm currently building a 14 bolt ff, without the 5.13 gears and disc brakes, but I'm pretty sure I could have the same thing built for a good bit less. Here's a breakdown of some prices, some actual and some estimates I got.

14 bolt full-floater from an '86 1-ton, spring perches moved, outer hubs and brakes rebuilt = $100...okay, I know this is a little cheaper than typical, but I think I lucked out.

Detroit locker = $350

5.13 gear set = $300
    bearings/installation kit = $200 ??
    installation (local shop) = $150

TSM disk brake kit (based on website) = $600, or so
    Install (if you don't do it yourself) = $100 ??

That all equals $1,800, and could easily reach into the $2k region....versus $2,500 plus shipping for Boyce.
    I think I also saw a post on the "for sale" board about a brand new, in the crate, 14-bolt with a Detroit for a little under a grand. Add in the cost of the gear change to 5.13 and disc brakes and your at over $2k. I guess for some people the convenience factor is worth a few hundred dollars.

16. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://coloradok5.com/boyce.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/boyce.shtml</A>

AZK5 makes a very valid point and the main reason I ordered mine from Boyce, here is a list of the things I can think of when going through a typical Dana 60 (rebuilding) if some one has some time to call and fill in prices that would be cool. (not all axles will need all this, just used as an example)

Used Dana 60..........1,000.00
    ARB..........................
    New gears.................
    ARB/Gear Install........
    1350 Yoke................
    New tie-rod/ends......
    Calipers.....................
    Hubs.........................
    Rotors.......................
    Axle Bearings............
    Seals........................
    King Pin Bushings....
    Cleaner/Paint............

-----------------total$

Just fill in the blanks to find out how much you could do the rebuild yourself, if you can set gears and install ARB (most people can't/shouldn't) you can save a lot.

Steve
    [​IMG]
    Mall-Running poseur 4x4 with curb-feelers

17. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Harry, I thought it was
    Just
    Everybody
    Else's
    Parts.

Here's what I paid:

Front:

Dana 60 w/4.56s, open, w/ spring plates & OE lockouts: $750

Detroit, carrier bearings & seals, king pin cone thingies & springs, steering joints, all the other seals, some wheel bearings (not all), caliper rebuilt kits, disk pads: about another $750.

Rear:

14 Bolt w/4.56s, open: $100
    Detroit: $300
    Do-it-yourself disk brakes, rotors (used), caddy calipers & rebuild kits, backing plates, disk pads (warranteed out an old set): ~100.

Basically, I've got a little over $2000 in to the axles.

I've bought or helped with several 14 bolts, never paid over $100.

Should also note that it took me about a year to find the 60, and that a lot of the other parts I got deals on or otherwise scrounged. I've also an adjustable proportioning valve and a 1 ton master cylinder.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd