Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check out this short-film

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jarheadk5, Feb 20, 2005.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Click the "Watch this film" link in the middle of the page.

"More"

Comments?

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Social commentary most likely, decently done, if a little jaded.

The perversion of an ideal, the marketing of the easily accesible if acknowledged.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  3. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

:crazy: What he said!

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

My take on it:

A worker-bee slogs through his work, day in and day out. The hated corporate whore in charge is constantly cracking the whip over the worker bees to drive production to ever-higher levels, with no thought given to what the workers might be feeling. One worker bee has a better idea, though. He works on it in the little bit of time each day that is his own, and finally has a breakthrough. His product revolutionizes the world, and he is universally worshipped as a hero. But soon he finds the roles have reversed, and the former worker bee realizes he has become that hated corporate whore, cracking the whip...

For some reason, this short really hit me hard. I guess maybe because I was in a similar situation until recently; slogging away in a dirty, nasty workplace for an employer who cared only about the production numbers at the end of the month.

5. Resurrection_Joe

I think it also has a bit of materialism commentary in it also. When the inventor is boss and yelling, his worker puts on the glasses and sees a false ideal. The inventor sold all the beaty within himself and as a result is now empty. In the end, bliss is truly intangible.

6. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

So you are sayin that bliss even for a short period of time is unattainable? I do beg to differ if this is the case. I can agree that such a state is probably impossible to retain for extended periods but I do believe and hope that I can reach such a station in life from time to time again.

7. Resurrection_Joe

Nononononononononono NO

I'm saying that bliss is a state of mind, projecting it onto a product or possesion is what makes a majority of humanity depressed in a very sad way.

The inventor took an inner light type happiness, an artistic mood, a general happiness, an unnamed feeling (METALLICA!) and tried to work that into something beatiful. Sadly, his work was degraded by his own sensibilities when he sold it and marketed it. When it was homogonized, the splendor of it was lost.

The marketing of art, the selling of happiness.

In the end, he sees the children at play, simple, unadulterated joy in living. What he had and lost so easily found in innocense.

8. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

That was quite possibly one of the most depressing things I have ever seen.

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Interesting. I found it sad, but not depressing. Of course, I believe there's a fine line between sadness and depression, but not everyone shares that opinion...

10. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

Well, I guess I see the truth in it (not saying you don't), so I found it depressing. Sad works too, but it was good nonetheless.

11. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah. I can see depressing too; that's just not the feeling I came away with. Like I said earlier, this film really hit me hard when I watched it the first time. A lot of the symbolism in the first part (up until he has the "Bliss" breakthrough) paralleled how I've been feeling about life lately, up until 2 weeks ago...

RJ, I knew you'd put into words the things that were tickling the back of my brain, but couldn't fully emote.

**edit**
    Jeez, after re-reading this thread, someone might come away with the impression that I've gotten a wee bit obsessed with this little film.................

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  12. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I thought it was long;)

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Very long... Watching it in silence makes it even longer...

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I guess nobody told you, Depression is an illness now that can be cured with medicine, not a feeling. :crazy:

I agree with you.

15. Resurrection_Joe

Nice sarcasm Tim, I hate those commercials too "Are you depressed? How about some drugs?"

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but if the antidepressants make my junk stop working (i.e. the nebulous "sexual side effects"), I'm just gonna get more depressed..............

I hate ALL the prescription drug ads...