Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check out this thing!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jarheadk5, Feb 23, 2005.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Saw this tonight when I was gassing up our Mountaineer at the local Wawa. Never seen it before...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have no details other than what you see in the pics - no owner around to ask, plus I had other stuff to do. Sorry about the fuzziness in the last 2 pics, I was holding the camera unsupported with a long exposure time.
    Must be interesting to steer with a car on that lift... you can see (barely in the pics, but plainly in person) how worn the rear tires on both axles are from scrubbing through turns. Doesn't look like the rearmost axle is driven.

2. big4x4ride

big4x4ride 1/2 ton status

There is a guy down here in Corpus Christi that just made a dual rear axle truck out of a 3/4 ton sigle wheel, he dad custom shafts made, and off set the pumpkin on the rearward axle and actually has a DS to each of them. he is using a divorced np208 flipped backwards input is now where the rear output usually is, front axle output drives the rearward axle, and the original input drives the front mouted axle, its a cool looking setup, lost of custom machining, he is running a walkign beam type suspension under it, and tows a HUGE gooseneck with it, says it tows way better that any dually he has ever driven but who knows.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Bizarre!

Looks like a 60" or better spread between the rear diff's, which looks pretty rediculous with tires that small. Probably as close as he could get it running 56" rear springs though...

Rene

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I can say that the part hanging off the back is a wheel lift off of a tow truck, but the rest is making zero since.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

too bad you didn't get any pictures, I have a feeling that frame tie in is a nasty bit of work. Looks like a plate across the end of each of the rails welded together.

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

7. Mudgod

Mudgod Registered Member

Looks like a snow plow. Looks like he has added the extra wheel to keep from getting sideways on the ice. thats why the rear tires are so far apart. This is just a guess though.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

be a lot of a waste in Bucks County. Sure we get snow but not nearly enough that I would do something like that. That and you will see hundreds of plow trucks doing fine, if thats the case its certainly a wasted of time and money. Maybe he had another truck sitting around and got bored one day :D

I can't believe it legal to drive with the tow part sticking out like that. Give it a week someone will plow into that cause they don't notice it.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

You can't ban ignorance and stupidity. Every tow truck has a wheel lift just about....if you run into it, that's your own fault.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah but they usually don't drive around with a wheel lift sticking 5 feet out the back all the time.

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Well hes obviously not driving it. Maybe it moves out of the way when he drives it.:confused:

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

must be a PA thing...

I saw a strange truck in PA when I drove thru on my way to nashville years ago--a Chevy K30 similar to the one in the picture was riding in a feild next to RT 81 and it looked like they had cut the truck's frame rails right behind the cab,and welded a kenworth or peterbuilt or some sort of semi-truck frame rails and tanden rear axles to it!--it was about 30 feet long,and had a huge pile of hay bales stacked about 10 feet hight the entire length of the flatbed!--I wanted to stop and take a picture,but traffic was too heavy,it would have been asking to get hit if I stopped,so I tried taking a picture while driving at 65mph,it didnt come out very good at all--I wanted a picture of it pretty bad,but no luck!...it had no plow setup on it,but I bet that sucker would push some snow if it did--I think the semi truck tandem axles can be locked to get 4 wheel drive...it would make a neat car or buggy hauler!...:crazy:

13. cow killer

cow killer Registered Member

you would need air to lock them in tandem. and even unlocked they push snow well.

14. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I'm sure when the bed and hydraulics are put back on , it doesn't stick out that far :D