Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check this deal

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudstud, May 31, 2002.

1. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I just got off the phone with a salvage yard who said he has a 3/4 ton (he thinks it says k-20 on the side) 78 or 79 lwb 4x4 chevy truck with both axles under. He'll take $400 for the axles and toss in the wheels and tires it has on it. He'd pull the things for me too. So I guess I'm looking at a 10 bolt front and a 14 bolt rear? So is it a safe bet it has 4.10s and not 3.73s? I just want the same gears front and rear so I can keep wheelin this season. I know the rear axle is worth at least half that and if the wheels are decent I could run them while looking for nicer 8 lugs. Whatdoyaguysthink? If I'm able to go tomorrow I'll see about getting the driveshafts to.

2. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

It should have a Dana 44 and a 14FF. The gears could be either. I bought a complete '78 K20 a while back for $350 and it had 3.73:1 gears. Check and see if it has a turbo 400 with a 203 t-case. That is the perfect start for a doubler. Sounds like a decent score if both axles are in good shape.

3. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

I think if it's 3.73 I'll pass on the deal. I want to get lower then what I have now (3.73) even if it is a strength upgrade in the rear. I think the quick test to check ratio is turn one wheel one time around and count how many times the drive shaft turns right? If it's a tad bit more then 4, it's 4.11, if it's about 4.5 times then it's 4.56, if it's almost 5 times then it's 4.88. This is the right way right guys?

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Pull the rear cover off and check the ratio stamp on the edge of the ring gear. Inspecting what you buy before handing over the money is not out of line...

Rene

5. Mr.Chevy4x4

Mr.Chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I agree with Rene. I will never buy another axle without pulling the cover. I bought a D44 once that was "in great shape". When I got home(70 miles) and pulled the cover I found several ring gear teeth in the bottom of the housing.
    If you are serious about buying them, then the owner should have no problem with you pulling the covers.

Mike