Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check this out (constitutional right case here)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Mar 4, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

www.papersplease.org

Check out this man's case and see what you think.

All I have to say is that they better rule in his favor.

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Been to the site, read their side of the story. You think you are getting all the accurate info from that site? If so, I have a bridge I want to sell you.........

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I don't see how they can't. Usually I love the police, we have a homeotwn cop kind of atmosphere here and they're really great guys, but we used to have a total prick of a cop (I'm partially biased, to be fair) but he went away for some reason.

I can see how some policemen can get a large ego and be total asses, and this appears to be the case. The right to refuse to identify yourself is arguable, I'm fairly sure Im for it, but with the police not identifiying why they were there for it's a non issue with me.

I'm more offended by pinning a 17 year old girl on hardpan by an officer. That's sick

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

This was kind of a long thread over on PBB a few days ago. Interesting case. I of course let my opinion of Nevada cops have absolutely no bearing on my opinion on this case.

The cop in this case was an ass. I've seen better people skills out of a rock.

The guy in this case, while I think he has a case, he also didn't do anything to prevent this from happening.

So before we get going on this, here's what we know is going on.

The cop receives a call to a possible domestic violence incident. I don't know Nevada law, but here in CA, it's a felony. Not only that, a cop here in CA, which I'm sure most states follow, has the right to ask for ID if investigating a possible crime and that's what this cop has. The cop in this case was absolutely right when demanding the ID.

The problem begins with his people skills. There was no reason for him to hide the fact that he was called to the scene, and he should have told this man that. But instead, all he does is demands the guy's ID.

Of course the guy is upset, but he's demeanor toward the cop is somewhat combative, and of course the cop's demanding demeanor doesn't help.

So in the end, using this piece of video, and from my own personal experience in the fair city of Hawthorne Labor Day weekend, Nevada cops are a**holes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

One thing I know about Nevada... Always comply with the authorities... Lest you end up like this guy... I'm ok with that. I have nothing to hide... I like Nevada..

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Always comply with the authorities

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, even when ya think you are complying, they tell ya that you are not!!!!!!!!

/forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I know I'm generalizing about my opinion of Nevada cops, especially after my incident and I know not all of them are bad...............

7. landsmasher

[ QUOTE ]
    Nevada cops are a**holes

[/ QUOTE ]

All cops are a**holes... They have to be so they can be on the same level as the people they are protecting and serving...

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    All cops are a**holes... They have to be so they can be on the same level as the people they are protecting and serving...

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of us are good a**holes though /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. landsmasher

I know Nevada cops can be wierd... I just try to get to know them first before they want to know me... Nevada is it's own country. I understand that it is very different from the rest of the country. I accept it. Not everyone has to... And I heard that Hawthorne is wierder than most Nevada towns...

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Been to the site, read their side of the story. You think you are getting all the accurate info from that site? If so, I have a bridge I want to sell you.........

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all on video tape, buddy. Can't argue with that part.

I personally don't like to be an ass to the cops, but I firmly believe this guy had every right to refuse to identify himself in this instance, and I believe he has a case as well.

I believe that both him, and the cops in this case all made some stupid decisions though.

Only one cop has ever asked to search my truck. I politely told him no, and he handed me my license and I was on my way (I wasn't doing anything). You don't have to always submit to them, and it's perfectly fine to exercise your rights. Of course there's a fine line between being beligerant and exercising your rights that some people just don't understand.

Either way, I hope the hillbilly wins. That cop was definitely out of line (and so was he, but within his right to be out of line).

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

The problem begins with his people skills. There was no reason for him to hide the fact that he was called to the scene, and he should have told this man that. But instead, all he does is demands the guy's ID.

Of course the guy is upset, but he's demeanor toward the cop is somewhat combative, and of course the cop's demanding demeanor doesn't help.

So in the end, using this piece of video, and from my own personal experience in the fair city of Hawthorne Labor Day weekend, Nevada cops are a**holes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch the video bubba, the cop states multiple times he is investigating a fight that happened between this man and someone else he says. I try to be nice to cops, I've only been a dick one time. A cop pulled me over in my k2500. She claimed that I revved my engine up to impress my friends with my exhaust when I was leaving the parking lot. I did no such thing, I backed out of a spot never getting over say 1200 rpms. She let me go but she was a REAL bitch about it. Thing is she was in the parking lot having her nightly meeting with her fiancee, while on duty mind you.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch the video bubba, the cop states multiple times he is investigating a fight that happened between this man and someone else he says.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but he doesn't check and see if the victim is all right, doesn't tell him why he's there, why he suspects him of doing anything.......NOTHING. Doesn't even identify himself or state his reason for being there.

No matter what, the cop was in the wrong big time.

In the end, all he got was a $250 fine, but it's still total bullshit.

13. landsmasher

[ QUOTE ]
    but it's still total bullshit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Life sucks and then you die... Or... Life's a beach. Or Life's a 5+ trail and you are doing it in a K5. People can suck and cops are people. The job sucks. I'm surprised they can find people to do it. I hate some of the cops that are here in my town. But I learn to deal with them in my own legal way. I don't go out of my way to piss them off. We need cops and not too many people want to be cops. Why? You think about the answer to that question...

14. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

some cops can be total dicks, others can be the most polite human being you will ever meet, case in fact..
    on my way to the mud drags one saturday night, driving along in my 4runner and some assbag in front of me, in an expedition, isnt going the speed limit, so i try to pass, the piece of [darn] cuts me off 4 times, so i give up, i tailgate him, with my highbeams, flashers and all 4 of my foglights going.. he called the cops on me.. for some reason, it took 4 police cars, with 2 officers each, to pull me over.. the cop says "are you driving erradically" and i answered no, he motioned to the others, and they all started looking into my truck with their flashlights.. i just happened to have 2 EMPTY coolers in the back, after they all made their rounds of the truck, i offered to let them see in the EMPTY coolers.. the one who was talking to me was a real dick, he had to give me a ticket for something.. so after i told him i just bought the truck, he THEN asked for my registration, insurance and license.. all i had was my license so i got a $38 ticket.. how lame?

then the cop who lit me up for running 6 of 9 stop signs in the middle of nowhere, but let me off with a verbal, or the one who pulled me over for a faded taillight, which i had just ordered from the dealer, nothing but a written warning..

theres good and bad in every profession..

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't have a problem with cops at all. I wouldn't mind being one if I hadnt hurt my knee and could pass the physical.

Unfortunately, this one was out of line and this is a constitutional rights issue.

MANY are good, but this one in particular, was out of line.

16. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Watch the video bubba, the cop states multiple times he is investigating a fight that happened between this man and someone else he says.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may not have caught it, but you can clearly see in my initial post that I have seen the video. Now there were different links on there and I clicked on the small one due to my connection, and IIRC, the cop did not at anytime state he was investigating an incident. Are the bigger videos longer?

17. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    D: Well, I've got a report that there's been a fightin' going on between you two tonight.

H: I don't know nuttin' about that. ------ Of course, I've -----------------

D: Why don't you come over here, ok?

H: I'm parked alright on the side of the road

D: You've got any identification on you?

H: No, ------------ why should I have an ID? Why do you want me to...

D: The thing is this ----- we're doin' an investigation, ok and I wanna see some identification

[/ QUOTE ]
    The officer states that he is there because of a fight involving the man he is speaking to. In my opinion it would seem the man was very combative and shouldn't win a damn thing out of it. If I were the cop I would have let him drive off then stick back and wait till he did something dumb like speeding and then pull him over, ask for ID, non produced, well sir its a law you have to have your drivers license while driving.

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

1. He wasn't pulled over

2. He was not driving

3. He probably didn't have any ID on him anyway

4. It is not the law here in IL that you have your license while driving, only that you are a liscensed driver.

19. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    If I were the cop I would have let him drive off then stick back and wait till he did something dumb like speeding and then pull him over, ask for ID, non produced, well sir its a law you have to have your drivers license while driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

And in most places you would not have a job after that.....................

In some states, if the responding officer sees evidence of domestic violence, that officer has no choice but to arrest someone. What the cop has here is a report of a fight. He hasn't made contact with the alleged victim. If you let the guy get back in the truck and drive off and the girl ends up dead in the ditch down the road, you are so [darn] screwed you might as well hand the title of all your belongings over to her family.

[ QUOTE ]
    D: Well, I've got a report that there's been a fightin' going on between you two tonight.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, that's in the transcript, which I read, but wasn't in the video.

There's an old saying. It's easier to catch bees with honey than it is with vinegar, or some such crap. In this case, the cop was not using honey and it's biting him in the a**. Like I stated before, the guy was being somewhat of an a** before, but if the cop had used a few more words than "let me see your ID," the situation may have been resolved with very little pain.

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yes you are quite right, good thing I'm not a cop.
    http://www.abditum.com/hiibel/no_id_arrest_SMALL.mov
    watch it again, its there. I must agree, the cop didn't do the best job, he definetally should have asked the guy about the incident and talked to the alleged victim before going into the ID thing, but the guy was combative on all subjects. You never tell the officer you have done nothing wrong, simply ask them what they think you did wrong.