Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check this out

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cegusman, May 12, 2006.

1. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

From a local website.

[quote author=shudabo link=topic=433.msg2677#msg2677 date=1147409303]
    Ok so about 7 years ago I worked at a heavy equipment place where we rebuilt Caterpillar Equipment. It was located on 2920 in the shops that King Krunch now occupies. One day just before Easter Kevin A.K.A Peanut and I were talking about painting his 1972 Chevy Truck. Problem was that he had to have it on the road Monday through Friday because it was his Daily Driver. Since we both worked **** hole jobs that didn't let us off on Good Friday we decided any weekend was as good as the next. We thought a bit over some beers and decided that it would be cool to roll up to the family get-together on easter sunday with the truck all redone so the rest of our family could see it. Fast forward to the end of the week.......

Friday @ 5:45pm (Good Friday) Kevin drives the truck to my shop. I had prepared some things that day at work and had ordered 2000 lbs of sand and 10 gallons of Terrex green paint. (Decided Cat Yellow was just not the right color) Kevin pulls the truck into the Bay and We begin the Tear Down.

This is what the truck looked like 1 week before the project began.

[​IMG]

45 minutes later the truck was down to the frame. Kevin and I had worked on this truck so much that we really did know every nut and bolt. The Engine was still too hot to touch at this point.

[​IMG]

A closer look at the dirty power plant in this thing.

[​IMG]

here is the Cab waiting for its turn to go to the sandblaster.

[​IMG]

its now Saturday and we had spent most of the night friday night discussing our to do list and getting a game plan together for a busy ass Saturday. The Blasting began early that morning. And while Kevin was blasting the frame I would be getting busy Pressure washing the engine with a steam cleaner. (We decided against sandblasting the motor since we wanted it to run when we were all done.) We had realized by about Lunch time that we were gonna need an extra hand and a parts runner so a call was made to a friend to lend us a hand.

[​IMG]

Here is the engine after pressure washing and paint. We decided to go Caterpillar Yellow on the Engine because it would look like **** if the motor was the same color as the truck.

[​IMG]

as Night time began to fall upon us we knew that it was a race for the clock. We had to be at the family's house by 11:00am the next day and the truck had to be on the road again by Monday morning so Peanut could get back to his job. Painting went on until about midnight. I was beginning to get a terrible headach from paint fumes so I turned Peanut loose with the paint gun. To my disbelief he was damn good with the paint chunker and took over on the cab and doors.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While I had been painting earlier Kevin had been busy putting the 454 back together and getting it put back into the truck. I had already painted the frame and motor accessories black earlier that day.

[​IMG]

And here is the motor in the truck frame waiting on the cab.

[​IMG]

After Kevin was done painting the Cab and I had done some rewiring we were ready to mate the freshly painted cab and bed to the truck, and begin putting the doors back together. as well. With Kevin and myself dead ass tired and dirty from head to toe, we were almost done but stopped to take a picture together for proof that we were the ones who did this, as Kevin was sure to get some Heat about this from a friend of his at work.

[​IMG]

With the core support in, ,Radiator, engine running now, and wiring hooked back up, the time was getting around to..... Who the **** knows I couldn't even walk anymore and I was stoned off of paint fumes and thinner. I think Elvis handed me that left handed metric crescent wrench when I was adding blinker fluid to the Flux capacitor.

[​IMG]

With that we took a short break to catch up on some sleep and get some food in us. The next morning While children would be getting baskets full of Easter Egges we would only need to put the seats in and install the windshield. For the most part we were done. We got back to the shop Sunday morning around 8:00am just hours after leaving but haven taken a shower and slept a bit to roll out with the truck finnished and on the way to show it off.

[​IMG]
    [/quote]

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That's *ucking hard core

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

wow..... that's one bad a** wrench session

4. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

45 minutes to take it down to the frame is pretty damn impressive.

5. merace19

merace19 1/2 ton status

Thats what i like reading about.

6. smalltowncowboy

smalltowncowboy 1/2 ton status

thats makes me feel lazy taking 3 weeks to do mine

7. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

:bow: Damn dood, Im a lazy ass.... My truck has been down for a month now. :bow:

8. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

damn thats crazy! mad props to them.

but i thought they said yellow wasnt the right color, and he got 10gal of green......guess they will have to take it appart next weekend and go it all over again haha

9. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

damn.. good job it takes me 3 weeks to change the diff fluids in my rigs lol.

10. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

fixed it for ya...

oh yeah, the motor is still too hot to touch, yet not only did they manage to pull it out, but they pulled the headers off of it too. :thinking:

11. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

Headers usually cool down quicker that the motor, unlike cast manifolds. Can't we all get along.

12. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

45 minuits to tear it down to frame!? Come awn! unless there was only one connector to disconnect for wireing to the cab/dash/fusebox/tailights, it would take 45min to unhook all the wireing without messing something up.

13. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Engine out from pulling into the driveway;Mini Cooper(original), 15 min. VW, 10 min. I was 18 or 19 then, we just did it fast before we could get worn out, and we had Kryptonite. :haha:
    Edit; I confess, it took about 4 times until we found out Minis have two seals. Vw's were out so many times, way many reasons, like replacing the generator and dropping the nut down into the tin, or "maybe its the oil cooler?"

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'll admit, pulling the engine in under an hour is possible. i've done it, two cars, side by side in the garage. pull both motors, reinstall both, one car driving down the street in an hour, the other running and ready for a derby. stripping an entire truck like that, no way.

15. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

45 minutes aint happenin here in the rust belt. To busy with rusty bolts either breakin or taking heat to get em out. :doah: Still a dam impressive job in that small of a time frame.

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Chip Foose can build an entire car in only 1 hour.....these guys are slackers!!!

17. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

:haha: Coddington too, but his don't run.:haha:

18. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

I would not want them painting my truck but I give them props for there tenacity to get it finished. it looks ok in the picture. 45 mins, no way, but tell me know one here has ever exagerated the truth. not wearing a paint resperator is just dumb though, but whatever thats there deal.

19. Robert D

Robert D 1/2 ton status

Chuck Norris would of had the entire truck finished in 45 minutes..pshh.