Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

check this S#$&* out

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by doctor4x4, May 11, 2003.

1. doctor4x4

doctor4x4 1/2 ton status

did you know that Gas in Iran is only equal to about .10 a gallon yea that right 10 cents a gallon for premium
    WOW

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

damn i wish it was like that here id be wheeling every day /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Have you ever wondered how people in some third world countries are driving new cars? Same thing. I believe that the cost we pay here in the US allows companies (car) to allow cheaper prices in these other countries.

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe that the cost we pay here in the US allows companies (car) to allow cheaper prices in these other countries.

[/ QUOTE ] Say what? You'd better think this through... Why would a car maker lose money in third-world countries instead of increasing their profit? They are in it for the money, not humanitarian causes.

Since I am in the automotive industry, let me tell you the four main reasons for the high cost of new cars and trucks:

1) they are continually loaded down with more stuff (GPS, leather, CD changers, etc.)

2) The labor costs are very high. The US auto industry lived fat for decades and over time the UAW nogotiated more and more pay and benefits. Now the high labor costs and huge pension commitments are big problems. You can have no education and make $60k+ with great benefits and retirement, for punching out car parts. That's how the term "Generous Motors" was coined.

3) American people cause it to happen. First, they demand more and more stuff they don't need (see #1), including more vehicle altogether than they need, in order to impress or keep up with other people. These people don't even think about the financial wisdom of their purchase, just the size of the monthly payment. The last 10 years have proven that it doesn't matter how much a truck or SUV costs, people will buy it.

4) Enviromental and safety concerns. As new safety equipment is invented, the government eventually makes it a legal requirement. As an example: first seatbelts, then airbags, then passenger airbags that can be turned off, etc... The environmental laws add significantly to the vehicle cost, especially when you include the CAFE (corporate average fuel economy) requirments. This is why we have multiple camshafts and valves, EGR, Catalytic converter, A.I.R. pump, etc, etc. The low cost vehicles of years past could not even be sold today.

5. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

i like #3 and 4....very true

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Well, the price of things varies greatly even within the US. I know that demand is what drives cost, and land is cheaper in Idaho than it is in Manhatten. Cars are priced higher relevant to cost of MFG in the US versus a thirdworld country. Cars/parts/product that are made in Mexico and shipped to the US cost more in the US than the same product does in Mexico. Why is that? Because we can pay more as a consumer.

7. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I believe that is called an embargo, or a tax on imports! The united states taxes the sales of imports and that tax is passed on to the consumer. Thus making foriegn goods more expensive than domestic goods, thus increases the sales in domestic goods and helps our own economy! This is the same reason why it's cheaper to buy a Beemer in Europe than it is a Chevy! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif