Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check those lugs!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bigmeats, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

After a long morning plowing, I was returning home, running around 55mph when all of a sudden I heard a loud pop. Sounded like I blew the tire or a belt in the tire, followed buy a wop wop wop noise. I got out and checked the tire to see if it was flat or if I ripped part of the tire tread off. I found nothing so I pulled out of the parking lot heard the wop noise again and all of a sudden it was gone, so I took the first right hand turn to pull over and check again, but as I turned the corner I saw 2 lug nuts fly out of the rim, came to a stop jumped out to find I had none left on the rim, lucky the rim was still resting on the spindle, Bad luck was I forgot to put the lug wrench back in the Blazer last time I used it on another car. I got to use the High-lift for the first time, not the easiest thing to use I found. Think I may have a problem with the rim now, some of the holes are egg shaped now, and I am assuming the loud pop I heard were 2 lugs snapping off. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    well now its time for a beer or two to try and forget the bad luck of the day.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That sucks Carl, but at least the tire didn't come off the truck and hurt someone!/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Nice to see you back, haven't seen you post in quite a while!

Rene

3. RATAH

RATAH 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear about the bad luck
    but it could have been worse,
    about the High-lift you said it wasnt the easiest
    thing to use?
    any comment on it ?
    i want 1 but would like to hear what ya think
    think of it,
    ease of use ?
    safty ?
    ect ?
    Thanks

4. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

Rene,
    I was thinking the same thing about the tire flying off at 55mph...hmmmmmm....35x14.5in tire flying at some ones car at 55mph equates to a bad, bad day. so see, there is always a silver lining, ya right.

I have been lurking around here for a while just have not had much time to do any posting, work and stuff is slowing down a little.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah lug checking is important. When I just finished the brake job on my K5 I took it out and drove around. Took my mom out cause she wanted to drive it(she thinks its a beast and must be insane to drive, I said wait till she sees the next one /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif). Well we kept hearing a clunk and when we got home I checked and all the lug nuts were loose all the way around. Damn air impact didn't have enough smoke to tighten them down. The clunking was the rim moving around on the lugs!

6. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Had that happen to me a couple of months ago on I20 leaving Atlanta. Looked in my side mirror and saw the rear wheel wobbling. Thought I had broke an axle shaft. Luckily the drum was still resting in the wheel.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Damn air impact didn't have enough smoke to tighten them down.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Yet one more reason to ALWAYS use a torque wrench to do the final tightening on your lugnuts. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif </font color>

8. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

about the High-lift you said it wasnt the easiest
    thing to use?
    any comment on it ?
    i want 1 but would like to hear what ya think
    think of it,
    ease of use ?
    safty ?
    ect ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I have said/heard before---"HI-Lift Jacks, Over a million uses, and changing a tire aint one of them!"

A must have tool....It should be one of the first things that anybody ever buys.

Rob

9. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

buddyof mine had similar problem he let one of our jakass friends put one of his wheels back on and he broke 3 out of 6 lugs doing it well my friend didnot find out till one of his 38x12.50s flew off and went into a canal and he ground 3 inches of his rotor off

10. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I've had hi lift for years.Every time I use it I have to oil the pins to get them working right.It's been used as winch,once to jack the roof back up on Yota after it rolled.Used it to pull fender off tire after minor accident.Install body lift,All kinds of other stuff.Only changed two tires with it in 20 yrs.1 mine and 1 stranger on Natchez Trace.Wouldn't be without it though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Just gotta ask, Are you running 6 lug or 8 lug ??? I've come close to loosing a wheel with 6 lug, but never had that happen with 8 lug.

12. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

6 lug! alum rims

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

alum rims

[/ QUOTE ] even more important to to use a torque wrench and recheck them

14. Why me?

Why me? Registered Member

Hi Guys, Yea, check those lug nuts. I've gone through a couple of High-lift jacks. The only thing bad about them is DON'T stand in back of the jack. I got a handle in the forehead one time.