Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

check those prices!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bigmeats, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Bigmeats

Bigmeats 1/2 ton status

I bought a new drag link set up last week at the local Napa store, 2 tierods and the adjuster for a grand total of 125 clams, no warranty. Today i was at auto zone and decided to check on there price, thought it might be a couple of buck less... well let me tell you i just about lost my lunch... for the three peice set it was only $54 and that included a LIFETIME warranty. Can anyone guess what im returning tomorrow!!
    CHECK THOSE PRICES FIRST!!!!!!!!! (LIVE AND LEARN) :(

2. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

3. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

4. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

Yeh, I have never liked NAPA, they are too expensive. Price some belts, or something like that. The only time that I go to NAPA, or A-line (which used to be Dale's), is if it is way too packed at Autozone, or if they don't have the part. I must admit that I do work part-time at Autozone, but I have always shopped there before I started working there. Heck, I even remember when it was Autoshack. Just my 2 cents worth. - Steve

Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

5. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Yea Napa's costly but the parts are better and last longer. I dont mind a life time warenty unless I have to use it 5 time to find a good part. Which I have had to do with AutoZone, never with NAPA

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I believe in the "you get what you pay for" motto. There are a dozen or so auto mechanics here at work and all of them will say that the Autozone (and other stores like them) parts usually aren't nearly as good and typically don't recommend them. It's just a matter of whether the lower price is worth the time and effort to replace the part. As an example, a guy in our club replaced his starter a while back which was the original 8 year old part. He got a lifetime guarantee Autozone starter but wound up having to replace it after every couple trailrides (about every 1 or 2 months) and a couple of them failed while on the trail. After going through about 4 starters is less than a year, he went and bought an OEM starter. Yes, it was over twice a much but it has now lasted for over a year without problems.

7. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

All you have to do is get to know the guys at Napa, i always get the shop price on everything i buy there b/c they know me, Pep boys wanted something ridiculous for 14 s/f bearings @ $60 apiece and they had to order them, walked into NAPA, "Hey George, got these bearings?" No problem, here you go, for around $60 for both, Plus i really like turning over the box and finding the words, "Manufactured for Napa by the DANA Corporation" I've never had any problems with any part bought from Napa, Can't say the same for the others, plus they can get parts that most parts stores couldn't ID to save their lives, what the hell is that from? Walk in to NAPA, thats a Tranfer case bearing isn't it? I can have that for you tomorrow. Maybe i've just had really good luck, but i think NAPA is the best Parts store around.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

8. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Always check apples to apples. The gas tank sending unit at Auto Zone $74, at NAPA, $126. Both made by the same company (American Design) for the Blazer gas tank. The biggest problem with NAPA is when the phone rings, they will blow you off and handle the person on the phone. Appearantly, the person standing right in front of them is not important as the one who's on the phone who may or may not come in and get the part they are asking about.

9. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You said the key words.."compare apples to apples", however just because they are made by the same company doesn't mean they are the same. Many companies who offer remanufactured parts have different levels of the same part with either more and/or better new parts put into the remanuf. process......they may look the same on the outside but are not the same on the inside. I'm not saying this is always the case and that Autozone wouldn't have the exact same part as Napa but for a cheaper price, but when one is almost twice the cost of the other I would look at them a little closer to make sure you actually are comparing apples to apples.

10. scrapper

scrapper Registered Member

I've found that if you are really interested in the best price,then maybe you are willing to forgo quality.I work at a car dealership and will only purchase OEM parts.The dealership that I work at is not a Chevy garage,so I purchase them from the chevy dealer,who sells them to me at there wholesale rate.There prices are lower than any aftermarket source and the do not charge shipping.The OEM parts always fit i never question there quality.