Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check you U-bolts PLEASE!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Sep 25, 2005.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Well, got my rig together about 2 weeks ago and took it out last weekend for it's inaugural run. Went pretty well. Decided to do another run this weekend. Well, this is what happened:

Apparently, 5 of the 7 u-bolts and the 2 D60 pass inner bolts loosend up. Ended up shearing a centerpin in 3 pieces. Only took about 2 hrs to fix :o on the trail.

Anyway, let this be a lesson to others. Check your freakin' u-bolts!!!!

BTW, for anyone that says that looks really unsafe, the rig was winched off from the rear to hold it and was also tied from the side to prevent it from tipping sideways and falling of fthe jack.

Broke 2.jpg

Broke 1.jpg

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

That looks like it was a lot of fun! :D Were they properly torqued?

:wink1:

3. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Yes, as tight as I could get them then a little tighter :D

4. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I thought everyone checked their U-bolts after 20 miles just like it says to. :dunno: Maybe this is a good time to say that that people should check their lug nuts as well.

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yep had the SAME exact thing happen last weekend. broke one fixed it, then after about a hour on the trail I was climbing up a ledge and SNAP goes another one :doah:
    Turns out my driver side D60 "bolts" wetre not long enough but the u-bolt made the spring plate get twisted making them feel like they were tight. So after some grade 8 bolts and washer to space the u-bolts I was back on the trail :doah:
    I know carry spares :D

6. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

I had some loosen on the rear of my old 86 Blazer on the freeway. Axle slid back on the drivers side. Luckilly I had on mud flaps n they kept the tire from getting shredded by the fender. Also had to replace the bolt tat hods the leaves together and centers onto axle. Now I just go crazy with my BEEFY impact wrench, and check my suspension when I change my oil...