Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Check your lugs!!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazen91, Nov 30, 2000.

1. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

So I'm crusing down the freeway today at about 70 and I feel this horrible vibriation and I say,"What's that? My truck doesn't have a vibration like that." So I pull over, get out, check the left front-it's ok, check the right front-it's ok, check the right rear-it's ok, check the left rear-"WHAT THE HECK?" One broken stud, five loose nuts. That was a close call. Once again, God was watching over me.

blazen91
    Protect the land FOR the people
    <font color=red>Not FROM the people</font color=red>

2. 1HIHUM

1HIHUM 1/2 ton status

I hate when that happens![​IMG] I had this happen to me years ago, in my old 65 el camino. Mine was the passengers front wheel. I was on my way home from work, with only a pair of pliers in he truck. I would drive about a block or so(city streets, not freeway) pull over, tighten them with the pliers, and continue this proccess until I got home. Now I crank my lugs so tight, that I'm the only one who will work hard enough to get them off.[​IMG] Glad to hear you didn't get hurt![​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have had that happen to me before also.

One weird thing, my budy used ot have a Tracker and all the lugs came off the one wheel while his wife was on her way home. THe kicker is, the wheel didn't come off at all, even going around corners!!!! Then to top it off, she drove back up the street and found all 5 lugs on the side of the road!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about luck!!!!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

This happened to me in a VW bug (my first car) when I was 16. Right rear lugs came off and I watched my wheel pass me on the road and hit the side of someones house. Got lucky that it didnt take someone out or hit another car. Had to walk about 1/2 mile to a gas station to get some new lugs. The people werent at home but they probably wondered where that big black mark came from on their siding.

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Ahh yes, those dainty lil 7/16" studs.

ken

6. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Yup, happened to me when I was 18. Driving about 60mph in my 77K5 and felt vibration. Pulled over at next mile and boom! the left rear tire fell off and I slidded about 6 feet to a stop. Doesn't get much closer than that.

Fencepost eater

7. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

ken- ahh yes they where, but they aren't to blame for me not checking them after I had the wheels off. I will be up-grading them to 1/2" till I get my 14ff ready to go in.

blazen91

8. Jimmy1972

Jimmy1972 Registered Member

yup, had this happen to me once too. Except I lost my front driver side tire. Good thing I was slowing up for a stop. Now every time I hear a noice up front I get a little funny feeling in the bottom of my gut. Wonder why

9. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

this has happened to me twice!!! dont they make a locking kind of nut or would nylon nuts work?

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

10. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

Blue Lock Tite.

blazen91

11. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

8 lugs!!

ken

12. BIGRIG

BIGRIG 1/2 ton status

My angel must take to many breaks! Went to CO last summer to go wheeling with buddys, had two flats on the way out there(a/t's) tread broke apart-used spare found a tire to match 3 citys later-#2 in mountains blew out back to spare. Went to shop in salida and had 4 used 35-12.50M/T's bought those and went on my way a day later going down highway 65 and my truck drops like a rock! steers left heads for a Ryder truck head on,but i got it back under control and skidded 100? yds to a stop. Wheel and tire hit oncoming van that passed me (bent rim back to lugnuts) flew over my buddys jeep and landed 1/4-1/2 from my truck. Totalled the front of the van (full of people). Had tow truck driver check and ALL were loose(shop DIDN'T torque them down) Luckily nobody was hurt, But I got the ticket for the shops stupidity and 1 point on license.
    Not the first time wheels fallen off though(driving my cousins truck and the adapter plate broke) wheel passes and skid to a stop. no injurys.

My life sucks?

a short story by Chris Clay....lol!sorry

MY DRINKING TEAM HAS A FOUR WHEELING PROBLEM!

13. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Gawd almighty! I think your angel is named 'Murphy'![​IMG]
    I can't remember my last flat, probably over 10 years ago.
    I did forget to torque my lug nuts once when I was 16, but I only got about a block down the road before it became obvious.

Rene

[​IMG]