Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Checked Tires

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cavalry, Jun 6, 2001.

1. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I have a set of swampers that are checking pretty badly. Anyway to seal them back up, so they dont deteroite further/look worse? I have been marinating them in Armorall and it dosen't seem to help much.

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

2. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    My first set of SS TSL's when for a total 13-14 years. First 8 years Washington rain, then 3.5 years TExas Sun
    and then 2years Tuscon Heat(100+). they still have about 5/32 tread, but ther side walls are pretty bad cracked/checkered. I have never put anything on them. The Tire industry want to sell you new tires every 3-4 year
    weather you need them or not.Don't give in ! Have an old timer look at them, better yet have ten old timers look
    at them. To answer your ? NO .

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

use something with UV protection, that's what eats(crackes) them up.

ARQ.

1-72 4x4 CST Blazer
    2-71 4x4 CST Blazer

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Silicon(e?) spray that is available at some auto parts stores works great as well. Not the sticky stuff you use to seal things, (watch what they bring you at the auto parts store when you ask for it lol) it comes in an actual spray can like WD-40, and it comes out kind of whitish. The stuff is great. I use it inside rubber vacuum and fuel lines, when putting new ones on, it allows the rubber to slip right on metal flared tubing, instead of having to twist and press so much.

Its beneficial to rubber, so you should/can use it on all your topper, door and windshield gaskets, as well as your tires. Doesn't leave a long "shine" on thetires, but I believe that is because the tires actually absorb it. Great stuff. AFAIK, there are NO downsides, probably be good for the dash too, although IMO, you should cover your dash to really prevent problems there.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

5. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    These tires are close to 20 years old, so I figure I have gotten my moneys worth. I dont really care as its just my summer truck and dosent see the highway at all. Here is a thought....brake fluid swells rubber right? how about using it on the cracks. We use to use it on our Humvees 'cause there is no NSN for armor all, with no ill effects.

"There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness"
    Luke
    84 K5

6. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Hey Cav,

Remember Uncle Sugar uses "silicone" brake fluid not mineral based like every one else. I don't believe silicone brake fluid will swell rubber like regular brake fluid. There is a NSN for rubber preservative I'ld have to check at work if you're interested (no it doesn't make them "parade" shiny).

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Actually I believe brake fluid IS silicone, up until DOT4. Then it changes to something else that is not so absorbant of water. i have been told before that DOT3 will work good on rubber, and since it is silicone, shouldn't hurt I guess, but I'm not sure what else is in it, that may or may not harm seals. All I know is, don't get it on cheap (read=spray paint) paint. It really does take it off like everyone says!

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen