Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

checking a front axle housing for True

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mike reeh, May 31, 2005.

1. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

I have my front axle down to a bare housing and I want to be sure the housing (tubes & knuckles) are true before I put a bunch of money into building it.. My reason for questioning it is for years I have had a wobbly/hoppy front end and EVERYTHING but the housing has been replaced. and I mean everything, including the frame, steering box, ball joints, shocks, steering braces, tires, wheels, brakes, rotors, etc etc etc ETC

should the tubes be DEAD NUTS parallel and straight w/ each other? How close is close enough? Anyone have any measurements from a reliable source? like center of ball joint to center of ball joint? orrr??? My GM manuals have exact measurements for checking the frame for straight.. but not the axle housing....

any thoughts, comments, etc??

are there any axle builders on the net I could email and see what they say?

thanks guys....

mike

2. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

What axle is it?

No measurements for you, but if you look down the tubes, if its bent, you will see it.

3. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

forgot to say its a dana 44 on a '77 K25 pickup....... see, the thing is I have sighted the tubes for straight and they arent PERFECT but pretty close..thats why I want measurements...................

mike

4. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

anyone? :/

5. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

The way we check our housings we use for truss mockups is as follows

Get a straight edge as long as your housing, we use a high quality 8 foot level.

With the diff cover removed as well as the carrier, we place the level across the mounting surface of the cover. We measure several places along the tube to the level to check for front to back alignment.

To check for up and down alignment put the level across corresponding points from side to side. Like the bottom of the C's or the ball joint and measure the same to check for up and down alignment.

If your housing is bent it will be in the drivers' side tube, if it is more than a 1/4" out of line, chuck the housing and find another. They are readily available.

6. mike reeh

mike reeh 1/2 ton status

steve- great information, thats exactly what I was looking for.. I didnt even think of using the level.. thanks!!

mike