Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Checking accountless?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by OFFRDK5, Oct 15, 2003.

1. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anyone out here gone without a checking account? I really like how my bank gives me no notification that I have gone over. I wrote a few small checks that just put me over my limit and they gave me a nice $26 fee EACH (26*5=$130) and then put them all for return ON THE NEXT DAY for the same fee of $130. $260 bucks down the fricken tube!!! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I ask again. Anyone else gone cheking accountless and gone pure cash only?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yup i pay cash for everything /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. OFFRDK5

How much does it help? How do you pay your bills since they won't take cash via the postal system? Money Orders?

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

try balancing your checkbook! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've had the same problem several times, and I chalk it up to being too damn lazy to balance my junk out. Being cash only sure makes it easy to spend for me, and it's NICE to have a debit or credit card for online and phone purchases!

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I have been running without a checking account since Jan, 2000 because of something very similar. Just got fed up with my bank's fees. Pay with cash or money order now (50 cents at a few check cashing places around here). I still have a savings account for recieving direct deposits for my paycheck though.

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    How much does it help? How do you pay your bills since they won't take cash via the postal system? Money Orders?

[/ QUOTE ]
    i have a checking account so i can use the debit card as a credit card if i need to pay that way like my membership here at ck5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif but have not used checks since 1995 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif if i order something that i would normally pay by check i get a money order for bills i either pay over the phone with debit card or i pay at a local pay station in cash /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. OFFRDK5

Blanacing the checkbook, thats where I got messed up!! My online stated that I had $5xx..00 and my Quicken said I had 10.XX. I let it go for a few days and it still said the same thing. I figured I had missed putting a deposit in my Quicken somewhere. Sure enough I did. So I added that deposit in and it said I had the right amount. So I went and spent my money on my rig /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif and bills. Well, the online banking then showed that I was really overdrawn?!? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Come to find out that I had taken the deposit and had put it in my Quicken, just in the wrong month!! And the extra money that was in there was actually my "overdraft protection". So I spent a bit of money last month!! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif They were nice enough to refund a portion of my overdraft fees /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif for MY mistake, but I am still considering going cash.

9. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I went for most of my life without a checking account.(I'm 47) Managed to get by just fine. Bought Houses, Cars, Raised a family, payed bills with money orders and cash. Had no credit cards. Always had plenty of money without worrying about bouncing checks. Life was simple. If I didn't have the cash I didn't buy it. Alwaws had excelent credit rating because I seldom used it and payed off loans early
    I do have a checking account and a credit card now but its manily because it makes shoping on the internet easier. And with kids in College I have a few more bills now. I only deposit enough money in the checking account to pay the bills. I hate to write checks /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif and leave the card at home. My wife and I try to pay cash for everything. Its so easy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. You just give cash to people and they take it with a smile /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif with no hassles or IDs and all that other junk they have to do and buttons to push /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

It is amazing how much simpler your life is when you use cash. It makes you think twice before spending it. You tend not to aquire debt and a lot of bills.
    When you are only spending plastic and paper its very easy to get deep, deep in a hole.
    I have a few friends who are Cash only people. They are doing very well for themselvs. And aren't bothered at all by not carring a checkbook or a plastic card.

10. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I'm notorious for either forgetting to put something in the checkbook or subtracting wrong or something... I like to use mainly cash, but I use checks to get stuff online or to cheat the system for a tank of gas like I did last week /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. OFFRDK5

[ QUOTE ]
    or to cheat the system for a tank of gas like I did last week /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Please....more info. Gas is expensive around here...$1.69 a gal!!

12. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

umm... it still requires the use of money... I was riding on empty with about 75 cents in my account since I haven't been paid at my new job yet... It was Saturday afternoon, so I called up my mom and told her my plan... What I did was went to a gas station that doesn't have one of those machines that takes money out of your account automatically, and since it was Saturday afternoon, the checks wouldn't be able to be cashed until Monday morning (or in this week's case, Tuesday)... So I just wrote the check and my mom wrote me a check for the amount I needed and I dropped that check in the deposit box at the bank Monday morning /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

a lot of people do that I think... but it works and it's better than running out of gas /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

13. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

You forgot the part about paying your mom back /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

oh... yeah... I should probably do that sometime too /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif I owe her like $75 now... being broke and borrowing money blows /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif