Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

checking for airleaks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Jonny-K5, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

when checking for airleaks on a carb, what fluid do you use? i cant remember if its starting fluid or wd40 or what?

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    when checking for airleaks on a carb, what fluid do you use? i cant remember if its starting fluid or wd40 or what?

[/ QUOTE ]One of those hand held propane (Or whatever they are) torches works for me. (Note; just don't light it, LOL.)

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I usually use carb cleaner--starting fluid works too,but its even more flamable than carb cleaner--make sure you dont spray it on the distributor cap or plug wires.Sometimes starting fluid vapors get sucked into the air horn of the carb and give a false indication--the carb cleaner with its little "straw" in the nozzle makes it much easier to spray it only where you suspect a leak.Some guys use a propane torch with the torch tip removed and a peice of rubber hose to help find vacuum leaks,but I'm not that brave--my dad worked for the gas company and handled LNG and propane--I have seen pictures of a department store some kook took hostages in,he held the police at bay with an ordinary propane torch he took off the shelf--he let all the propane escape from the tank and when they tried to rush him he ignited it by "flicking his bic" and the stores roof collapsed!-it blew a 40x40 foot section right out of the roof,petty impressive for a 16oz.propane canister.I dont like the idea of unburned propane floating around the engine compartment-- /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

oh ya , carb cleaner, thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif