Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

checking front wheel bearings...do I need to remove brake caliper?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 77Jimmy, Aug 9, 2003.

1. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Going to tackle my front wheel bearings this weekend for the first time. I need to remove the brake caliper w/ a C-clamp by compressing the piston, right? How do I know when it's compressed? I'm following the directions in the Chiltons and Haynes...just want to make sure I'm doing this procedure correctly...first time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Just remove the 2 bolts that hold the caliper in place, then slide it off the rotor. You only need to compress the piston back into the caliper if you are installing new brake pads. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Ok, thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Do I need to slide something in between the pads as I'm sliding it off the rotor???

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

nope the pads will stay where they're at...well they might fall out, but they won't squeeze together.........unless somebody pushes on the brakes. Just set the caliper on the leaf spring don't let it hang by the hose.

5. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the quick info, guys!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Just set the caliper on the leaf spring

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't do that. If you bump it it'll slide off the spring and damage the line. It's best to hang the caliper by running a rope or wire through a bolt hole in the caliper and tieing the other end on something sucure.