Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Checking in and looking for opinions

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by teamhickman, Dec 19, 2004.

1. teamhickman

teamhickman 1/2 ton status

Hey guy’s, just thought I would check in and see how things are going. Getting very close to making the purchase, hope to have one selected by end of Jan., first part of Feb.

I do have one question, I’m looking for some opinions on Stick Vs. Auto….I know, I know……it’s been asked a bunch of times and I’m not really asking in general terms. It more Blazer/AZ rocks specific. I’m purely a “Juice box” kinda of guy and never really wheeled with a stick. I went and looked at a 78 today that had a 4 speed and to be honest I hadn’t considered a stick in a vehicle this big and heavy. The auto was a perfect match in the bronco but I wonder if a stick might be better in a blazer…it would take some getting used to……

Regardless, who’s running what?

With all things being equal, is the shock load of a stick harder on the drive train? What about clutch life?

Just how bad does it suck working clutch, brake and gas pedals all at the same time while trying to balance the vehicle?

Thanks,

Andrew

2. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

manual vs. auto

I used to be a "die hard" stickshifter.

But I've turned over to the ATF side. I will never wheel a manual rig on purpose again....

...nuff said.:grin:

Marv

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Auto here. I have run an auto on the rocks now for a little while, and I don't think I will run a stick in the rocks unless the gearing is really low (80:1 or more) or I had to.

If you are going to crawl get an auto, especially since you have always wheeled an auto. If you had run a stick already and were good with it then I would say get what you want but you said you haven't.

A guy we wheel with wheels a stick in a Jeep and he is REALLY good with it but he has had lots of practice. The lighter weight of the Jeep helps to I imagine but it is all seat time and learning how to drive it. It can be done but an auto can give you more control in the technical rockcrawling we have here.

Harley

4. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

me likey slushbox!

I run a 700r4/208 combo. I couldnt be happier unless I had an atlas. My 700 is built and I run a good cooler. I'm lazy too... I'd rather just watch my tires and rocks. Oh, and choose crappy lines... I'm getting better at that.

5. teamhickman

Thanks !

I appreciate the input.

Andrew

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

A very clean 87 ( injected ) blue , 4x4 , ralley rimmed , not sagging , GMC shortbed has popped up further down Apache trail than I saw it before with a lower price . Head East and you should see it on the south side of the road between Sossaman and Ellsworth close to the Castle Boutique :xmas:

7. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

im with marv, i have had 2 blazers with sticks and love it but as soon as i wheeled an auto life got better. no more 3 footing it and my drivetrain likes me more.

8. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

I personally like autos for rocks but some prefer manuals........a guy I wheel with has a straight 6 in his Jeep with a manual and does very well. Its just what you prefer, I'd say if you arent already in love with and used to a manual go with an auto. :thumb:

9. teamhickman

Thanks again ! This is the type of input I was looking for. Gonna stay with an Auto!

Paul,

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to get out east and take a look at both of them.

Andrew

10. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Andrew,

Thought I would let you know that "Shaner" who works at Desert Rat at the Mesa location in PHX, is looking to sell his blazer. He also has the motor that use to be in Marv's green blazer for sale. It's a good setup. 10 bolt front 10 bolt rear, and it's got either 4:56 or 4:88 in it.

He has lost his intrest in wheeling, and currenlty it's a driveway icon. He has taken very good care of it and also has a really nice 14 bolt totally built up with disc brakes and a detroit in it for sale.

You should give him a call and talk with him. He is one of the tech in the back, and is a very stand up person. Ask anyone here on the board from AZ.

Just look up the Desert Rat, Mesa location and call it. Make sure that when you talk with him, you let him know that "Rob Finelli", told you about this. He is not advertising the sale.

Good luck, Hurry up, the season will be over sooner that you think.....

Rob

11. teamhickman

Rob,

Thanks for the "lead" I'll try and get ahold of him right after the first of the year. I'm not in the position to do anything right now, X-mas is killing the wallet.....Damn $60.00 christmas trees.....LOL!

I'll try him the first week of Jan.

Thank again and enjoy your holiday! :)

Andrew