Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Checking interest for OBA kit using stock GM compressor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by garlicbreath, Mar 13, 2007.

?

WHat kit would you prefer to convert your AC into OBA

1. Just the basics

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The specialty parts, fittings, regulator and pressure switch

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  3. Nutin, I don't need no stinking air

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Um, what is OBA?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I have a way to be able use your factory GM serpentine air compressor as an on board air supply and want to check interest. FYI, the stock GM compressor has 4 pistons and is very powerful, many of you already have them, they are dirt cheap to buy in the yards, and the brackets are already available in the JY if you don't already run a serp setup. Not to mention you don't need to buy a 150.00 serpentine clutch pulley like with the york setups.

My question is how complete or barebones would you want, and what would you be willing to pay?

I would prefer selling the basic parts since I would be paying retail for the extra parts anyways, and then charging shipping.

I have to setup tooling and fixtures for the parts needed to adapt a few things, but other needed parts like regulator, pressure switch, oil resivoir, etc you could source on your own at a local harbor freight or home depot.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, I've already done mine -- I went York.

I would think that if you can offer a complete kit, or at least all the not-locally-source-able parts as a kit, along with specific vendors and brand/part #'s for the locally-sourced stuff, you would have some interest.

However, note that since you're gonna be using some kind of external lubrication setup, plus presumably an oil recovery system, it's gonna be complicated. That was why I went with the York; simple, cheap. I had to weld my own brackets (I didn't know Muddytazz was making them) and had to do some plumbing, but I'm big on DIY anyway, so it worked out.

My fear would be the expectation of support from folks you're selling to, and the complexity of the system.

What kind of CFM can get you get from a stock compressor?

-- A

3. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

i was thinking about what it would take to make this happen on my truck the other day... what other differences do yorks have over the factory gm's? does oil flow in the system on the gm's and not york's?

4. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

That is the main difference and hurdle.
    I opened mine up the other day it has 4 pistons the size of a small lawn mower so I would imagine it can move alot of air.

5. K-5 Bomber

K-5 Bomber 1/2 ton status

I'd be interested in the setup, but after reading a tech article here it would have to be less expensive than the York setup. Not looking for free, just cheap.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

IMO you will not be able to oil the GM compressor without pumping oil into the air line.
    The Chrysler v-2 compressors move a huge amount of air. If you were going for volume only, that is the way to go. Without a restrictor on the intake side of that compressor, it will stall the engine trying to compress the air.