Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

checking pattern before swapping carriers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K1Orion, Jan 4, 2004.

1. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

How do I do it?

I'm putting an Auburn Posi in a 44. I guess I need to check the pattern before I pull the old open carrier so I have something to try to match when I put the new 1 in. So any body got any pointers for me or a place to get marking compound?

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no need to check all that beforehand, you will need to do all that afterwards though, but there are oen or two units that are supposed to be bolt in with no adjustment needed, but i dont remember which, you will have to set pinion depth and tooth contact patch, you have to have knowledge in this area to know how to do it, and also the tools required in which very few ppl actually have

3. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    you will have to set pinion depth and tooth contact patch, you have to have knowledge in this area to know how to do it, and also the tools required

[/ QUOTE ]

Tools,What tools? I've got a big hammer and a pair of Vice Grips. What else do I need? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Knowledge is what I'm seeking, anybody wanna give some up?

I've got a dial indicator and a lb-ft wrench. Do I need a lb-in wrench ? What else?

I can engineer my own case spreader if I need to.

4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

If you are not changing gears, you do not need to run a pattern at all. Just check the backlash before you pull the old carrier out, and set it the same with the new carrier. If you don't remove the pinion or change any pinion shims, you do not need to worry about a pattern. You should be able to pull the carrier without a case spreader, just use two pry bars and be ready to catch that mutha when it pops out.

5. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Thanx, that was what I was hoping.

I'm gonna search but I'll ask here too, How do I check backlash?

6. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Orion, I agree.
    If you're just swapping carriers, dont even concern yourself with pattern. Measure the backlash using a dial indicator and set the backlash using the new carrier to the original amount +/- .OO2 and you'll be fine. You dont need a case spreader, like it was said, just be ready for it to pop out at ya.

If you're dealing with a D44, prepare to buy a press and bearing remover. The backlash shims on the D44 are under the carrier bearings. Goodluck!

7. K1Orion

K1Orion 1/2 ton status

Re: checking pattern before swapping carriers * how to check backlash*

The new carrier already has bearings on it, they seem to be in good condition. So how do I check backlash?

Careful boys, I've got a dial indicator but I don't know how to use it!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

8. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Re: checking pattern before swapping carriers * how to check backlash*

shoot me a pm