Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Checking Timing

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by johnny reb, Aug 6, 2001.

1. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

Mar 6, 2000
    I want to check my timing but I've never done it before. Any helpful hints?

1986 K5, New GM 350, Edelbrock Intake, K&N Air Filter, Flowtech Headers, Dual 3" Exhaust, 33" Pirelli Scorpion AT, 700R4, 3.42 gears
  2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

May 8, 2001
    Easy as pie. I think on your's ('86) you have to disconnect the tan wire with black stripe in the harness by the brake booster before attemtping this (there's a connector on it you just disconnect for checking timing).
    There should be a sticker on the radiator support that says what the idle speed should be, and the degree of advance. You basically warm up the engine to normal op temp, point the light at the balancer and timing cover reference mark. The light will come on every time spark goes to the no. 1 cylinder, so it'll look like the vibe damper isn't moving under the light. That's how you should be able to see the timing mark, and line it up with the reference thing.

Good luck, hope that made sense, I gotta run!

P.S., search for "timing". The same question just went around a week or two ago

<a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **I need a house. Friggin realtor went and sold mine.**
  3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Jun 1, 2001
    Of course, this sounds easy and all, but sometimes it isn't. My timing guage is such that I have to shoot my timing light from about 1 o'clock down around the radiator hose and behind the water pump. Oh yeah, and did I mention that the guage has so much rust on it I can't make out the marks? And, of course, once you have checked it, you may want to adjust it. The bolt on the distributor clamp on mine was so stuck I nearly ruined my wrnech trying to get it off (cheap wrench). needless to say, I decided to leave mine and just assume it was okay!

Something you might do first is to use some white chalk or some other reflective marking stuff and mark the groove on your harmonic balancer first. It makes it easier to read the mark against the gauge in the timing gun's light.

Best of luck!

Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>