Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

checking wheel bearings

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, May 22, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

can a wheel bearing still be bad if the tire doesnt "jiggle" on the hub?

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

yes but not likely

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

o kthanx! i wanna go on this trip sunday with the 4x4 club..but my truck makes this clunky sound all the time and im not sure what it is so im a little nervuos. but the wheel bearings seems fine and the u-joints do too..but for the slip yoke on the front d-saftt..were it bolts to the front axle..its really loose..so ill need to replace that..but i should even hear that cuase it doesnt move in 2wd anyhow!? also need new tie rod ends..but other than that i couldnt find to much wrong..maybe that explains why it does it bad when turning..

4. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

yes they can, on my '85 C10, i had to replace a couple of studs when replaced my tires, when i took off the rotor everything was still tight. when i pulled the bearings to repack them with grease, both sides had cracked bearings. one of the rollers even came apart when we put them in the parts washer. both sides were tight when we started the day.