Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Checklist: Upgrading for towing

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by BranndonC, Jan 26, 2004.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

so to prepair for towing i plan on upgrading my stock burb. Does this list sound about right for maybe once a month towing a hundred miles or so:

14FF 4.10's
    8 lug rims i think 15 inch size if they'll fit over the 13 inch drum brakes.
    tranny cooler (the larger the better)
    tranny temp gauge
    tach

and do i need to add a overload spring to the burb larger than what ever is there now? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

if it is mainly for towing then go with 16 inch rims. lot more highway friendly tires out there and higher load rating.

other than that, sounds good. might want to think about 4.56 with a tallaer e rated tire.
    Grant

3. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I recommend the 16" E-range tires also. It's also what GM specifies for the 3/4-ton Burb... inflated to 80 psi on the rear axle. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Is your Burb a 1/2-ton, 3/4-ton, 2wd, or 4wd?

4. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

What engine and tranny do you have? There is a lot of rear overhang on a burb too so a load distributing anti sway hitch would be in order as well.

John

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    so to prepair for towing i plan on upgrading my stock burb. Does this list sound about right for maybe once a month towing a hundred miles or so:

14FF 4.10's
    8 lug rims i think 15 inch size if they'll fit over the 13 inch drum brakes.
    tranny cooler (the larger the better)
    tranny temp gauge
    tach

and do i need to add a overload spring to the burb larger than what ever is there now? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It all depends on How much you want to invest but I would put air bags instead of more or stronger leaves.
    And weight distributing hitch.
    I just bought a 3/4ton 4x4 burb with a TD6.2 and I will be aquiring a weight distributing hitch.
    Yours is 2wd right?

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

yes mines 2wd and thanks for all the input guys, keep it comin' /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

While the brakes on a 14FF are big, they should be matched with bigger brakes up front. After all, that's where most of your braking is.

A complete 3/4 or 1-ton front suspension can be swapped in. (No, the spindles/rotors cannot simply be swapped in). A 1-ton master cylinder and hydroboost would be a healthy asset as well.

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    While the brakes on a 14FF are big, they should be matched with bigger brakes up front. After all, that's where most of your braking is.

A complete 3/4 or 1-ton front suspension can be swapped in. (No, the spindles/rotors cannot simply be swapped in). A 1-ton master cylinder and hydroboost would be a healthy asset as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well on my burb since it's diesel, it has the hydroboost, but still has the 3/4 ton calipers.
    I think it should be fine anyway since my trailer should have plenty brakes and on the burb I will not go crazy with the tire sizes.

9. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i have the 3/4 brakes now and the 1 ton master cylender for it