Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cheep 4 inch lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sanssocs2, Jun 23, 2001.

1. sanssocs2

sanssocs2 Registered Member

I am looking for a cheep 4 ich sus. lift. in the mags the cheepest looks like superlift. and also do most lifts come new steering arms? I plan ofn nunning 36x12.50 swampers. do you recomend getting Tsl, Radial, or SX? Should i get it put on proffesionally or is it hard to put on yourself.

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It is easy to put on your self.I think you need to purchase the steering arm seperate. But if you are only going to put on a 4 in lift and run 36 in tires you are going to have to do some major body trimmin. .......Dan

3. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

A cheap but good 4" lift is a Rough Country kit, $550 for front and rear springs, steering arm shocks and all hardware included, you can't go wrong with it.
    sergio

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

lots of people like the Rough Countries for the economy, and the seem pretty happy with the ride results also.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

i got a rough country sitting in the garage, and i am gonna put it on either tommarrow night or monday night hopefully, if im lucky

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>

6. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

i was thinking about the rough country too, how long does it take to install the lift? Area ny special tools required besides a little elbow grease and muscle? I was also wondering if the springs were hard to put in place, or is they fit nicely? I can do most minor work myself, would it still be ok for me to do the lift myself, since most things look like they bolt in place?

K5 just upgraded to rig status! [​IMG]

7. gokartergo

The hardest part is removing the old steering arm. You need plenty of WD-40. A BFH. And start hitting it. Start WD-40 a couple od days before.......Dan

8. surg82k5

surg82k5 1/2 ton status

ok most of the rough country stuff bolts on but i did run into a few problems. the steering arm holes were a little bit too small for me to put it right on, i realize it should be a snug fit but i would have messed up ever thread on the bolts getting it on. I had to drill out the holes a little bit and i still ad to file on some threads to help the nuts go on. One other thing that could have been my axle or the kit was that the center pin for the front springs were a little too big as well, to be exact about 1/16 of an inch too big. I had to drill the hole on the axle out to 9/16 and then the fit perfectly. i called rough country and they said that this was not a problem that they had experienced before but they said everything should be ok if i just drill out the hole on the axle some so that is what i did. I think you could put it in yourself. It is a very good kit for the price and their customer service is great. I was even short a few washers and nuts for the u bolts and i called them and they go it right out to me in two days. sorry it is kinda long.
    hope this helps,
    sergio

9. gokartergo

Found you one on ebay
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=592656487>http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=592656487</A>

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I am in the process of installing my Rough Country 4" full spring lift right now. Got the front finished last night and plan on doing the rear tonight. Here are my notes:
    1. The springs got a little nicked up when shipped, so I coated them with some black rustoleum before mounting them.
    2. Be sure to have a large jack and jack stands, or at least something to safely set the jack and stands on. When I had mine on the stands as high up as my jack would reach, I lowered the axle to the ground and left me about 2" of play when installing the new springs.
    3. Screw the brake line brackets in the kit. Go get new stainless stell brake lines for a lifted truck. Mine cost $86 through 4Wheel Parts, but were easy to install and a definite must.
    4. I had a little trouble with the bottom shock mounts. With the rubber bushing in place, the mount was a little wide for the bracket on the axle. But, with a good hammer and some patience, that went okay as well.

All in all I am very pleased so far. I have yet to replace the rear brake line, bleed the brakes and put on the rear springs and shocks, but I didn't have any other problems with the front, including with the steering arm. I highly recommend it.

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 32X11.5 BFG ATs, 15x10 Eagles, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

11. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

For the tires I would recomend the swamper baggers 37X13.00X15, Just need major finder triming

12. 85k5blzr

85k5blzr 1/2 ton status

when you remove the axles, is there any tension on the leaf springs, or when you take out the bolts, do they just come off? THey always looked like they would sort of go shooting off.

K5 just upgraded to rig status! [​IMG]

13. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I kinda thought the same thing. But the leaf packs are arched. When you drop the axle, just remove the shackle-spring bolts. I actually had to drive my springs out of the shackles with a hammer. But they are no longer under any tension when the axle is dropped.

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 4" lift, 32X11.5 BFG ATs, 15x10 Eagles, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

14. kmbonomo

kmbonomo 1/2 ton status

Im surprised someone said fender trimming would be nessassary... I ran 35's and had no problem and had 36's on a short box pickup and had no problems either... anyway I did the reverse 4" lift to stock and easiest way was one corner at a time, remove 1 corner u-bolts jack up that corner till spring parts with axel and had about 5" clearance, replace spring, lower jack and replace u-blots. for steering arm remove ball joint nut, juck up under ball joint stud to place preasure on it then rap it hard with a BFH till it pops out, remove the 3 stearing arm nuts and wale on the arm with the BFH untill all the wedge washers break loose.. start wd40 on everything a few days before... and lastly dont forget to bid again on that lift kit on ebay... http://coloradok5.com/readers/reader257.jpg

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Put at least a 2" body lift on it after that if you expect to run 36s. Or choose a 6" suspension. If you're heart-set on a 4" suspension, I'd just put a 3" body on it.

I recommend SSRs. They'll last longer and they're quieter than the other tires mentioned. If you're only going to use it off road, then get the Boggers in 35x14.50 or 35x16, depending on your wheel choice. I personally would go with the SSRs though.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles