Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cheep cooling trick for 81-up only

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sweetk30, Feb 21, 2007.

1. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i just swaped in a 88-up new body aluminum/plastic tank rad in my 81-87-91 ride. only diffrence is the rad cap/neck is taller than stock.

in my truck i had short rad to begin with and the rad hold down brackets that dont bolt on top but on back side of coresupport . i used a 88-up c2500 350v8 rad i had in stock and found it bolted in no problems. it in and works. so i have a cheep alumin rad to help cool better .

the only reason i forsee any problems with 73-80 trucks running this is the coresupport might be to short and when you close the hood it might hit the cap/filler neck.

i will get pics and post up .

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

So by any chance do you know if there is a "tall" version of this same radiator?

Just wondering if there is something those of us with the taller '81+ radiator could bolt in.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Sounds like a good idea, if you have one laying around. But ya don't want to go buy a new one. The one in our '94 Suburban costs $380, and that was the cheapest I was able to find. :yikes: (I spent the $120 to have new plastic side tanks put on instead). :cool1:

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Napa shows them online anywhere from $153 to $385, depending on oil cooler, construction materials, etc.

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ours has the wide one, with both extra coolers. :( I couldn't figure out why a slightly wider one cost so much more... The narrower one was a whole bunch cheaper.