Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chemical Rust Remover?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nvrenuf, Dec 8, 2004.

1. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Is there such a thing?

I am working on my "new" frame and also have some tubing that has been outside so they have light surface rust, nothing too bad. With truck time seemingly so scarce lately I was hoping to find something that would be much quicker than scrubbing with sand paper, etc. Any suggestions?

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

theres some stuff The Eastwood Company sells, we used to have some, used it all, eats the rust off, then leaves a coating behind. As I recall it was a white bottle w/ a pink label.

3. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

4. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

There's a low cost chemical at the hardware store, can't remember the name though (ask the hardware store guy), wire brush loose rust and chunks but then just spray on and the rust will turn black and be stopped! Great time to prime and paint then.

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

You can find Naval Jelly at the hardware stores. It is pretty good at removing rust as long as it isn't super heavy. It may take more then one application depending on the amount of rust.

Harley

6. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Phosphoric acid works really good. It dissolves iron oxide yet doesn't attack iron. Hydrochloric acid will get rid of the rust a lot faster... but it'll get rid of the iron also.

You can buy some green stuff at most body shops that'll chew through rust in no time. I think it's phosphoric acid and alcohol in a viscous form. It works really good. Dump it on, spread it around with a rag, and leave it alone. Come back later and hose it off. I wouldn't recommend breathing it.

7. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That sounds extactly like what Naval Jelly is.

Harley

8. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

It called "Ospho" it is lime green and comes in a plastic bottle about a quart.

9. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

That's the one!

10. vortec

vortec 1/2 ton status

i believe phosphoric acid is the main ingredient in naval jelly. and it works great. i used some 2 days ago on my k5 floor. i've also used some of the spray on stuff for lighter rust. both are supposed to actually reverse the chemical reaction of rusting, and turning it back to metallic iron (not steel, of course. that takes processing). for very light surface rust, i sand with 100 grit, then use coka cola and steel wool. in all cases, i rinse the surface with alcohol, or a little water, let it dry, then prime it, before i put any paint or heavy sealants on. adding a tetanus shot to the list isn't a bad i dea, either.