Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Chemistry....Rant

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mikey_d05, Sep 13, 2005.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Oh man, this is somewhat of an odd situation for me since I love science, but Chemistry 112 is really getting to me. There is a ton of bitchwork associated with this course, not including the lab that is taught by a foreign T.A. who I can't understand at all.

If there are any engineers out there...does this course benefit you at all in the future? The only value I see in it is a general knowledge base and the fact that minute details matter, but memorizing quantum numbers of orbitals seems a little tedious and stupid considering the field I'm going into. I guess I can see this class being part of a required curriculum if it does nothing other than weed out the ones who won't/can't make it, but damn this is frustrating.

My prof. has large packets for each chapter we go through to help us review, but he won't tell us if we're right wrong or inbreds until after we take the test. I can practice all the equations in the world but if I screw 'em up he won't tell me until I get it wrong when it counts, what kinda chit is that?

Don't get me wrong here, I can hack it, and I'm gonna get a decent grade in this class, I just waste a lot of time on it when I could spend it on other things. My calc class is one of the most interesting I've had so far so you know I'm not just too lazy for it. Bah, sorry, just frustrated after wasting a night on an assignment.

Rant Off

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Learn the important stuff................

Make napalm....................... :haha:

3. mikey_d05

I knew I could expect an intelligent breakdown of quantum mechanics from you Bubba :D

Thanks man, that def. lightened my mood.

4. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

What field of engineering are you going into? I am an electrical engineer, working for a consulting firm and do not use any of the knowledge I gained from the chemistry classes I took.

5. mikey_d05

Right now I'm in the ME program. I might switch to EE or take an extra semester to double major, there is a lot of overlap in our curriculum and I'm 35 credits ahead of the rest of my class. I think chem is required in both fields here though.

6. justinf

justinf 1/2 ton status

Yea, I had to take some chem classes also, but the only ones required for EE at the University of Illinois were general chemistry, which I took at a community college, much easier than at the university.

7. mikey_d05

112 is the harder of the gen chem's here I guess you could say. PM when you get a chance, I'd like to know a little about your job, I'm always interested to hear from engineers.

8. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I got my degree in EE and had to take a year of chemistry. Yeah, it sucks but it does help to weed out some of those who are not so serious about college. I found the class interesting and learned a few things from it. Just make sure you know how to read the periodic table well. :wink1:
    As for the teacher and TA, I had my fair share of bad instructors, it's just something you have to deal with unfortunately. Most departments have tutors that are more than willing to help. A lot of the time they are just sitting there bored to tears waiting for someone to come in for help. You can also get together in a study group with some other students in your class. Or you can go to another instructor during their office hours and explain your situation and see if they'll help you. Some are more understanding and willing to help than others though. But again, they are required to be in their office a certain amount of hours during the week and most of the time they are bored too.

9. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

hmm, thats exactly what i was thinking. im in ME at Oklahoma State right now, im in Chem 1414 (Chemistry for Engineers so they say). i like it, theres a bunch of cool stuff in chemistry, but my teacher tends to move along quickly and talk about his most recent publications more that teach, so it's getting hard to follow about now, first test next wednesday. and my lab teacher is also a foreign TA, middle eastern to be exact, and i just stare blankly at her when she talks. calculus is kicking my ass, my teacher is a fool, some graduate student or something, i learn nothing in the class, so i go to the math lab (for 5 hours monday to be exact) and teach myself and get help from tutors... but ive got a lot of crap going on now, so just keep telling myself "it wont be as bad in a week or so".. btw what year are you? good luck..

10. mikey_d05

Yeah, Chem 112 is the "chemistry for pharmacists, engineers, and chemistry majors." My lecture prof is a pretty good guy, he's just paranoid about keeping his tests a secret so he won't give us the answers to the packets. My calc prof. is a great teacher so that saves me in that area. I'm actually enjoying calc so far so that's a definite plus. Sounds dumb but I was never challenged in high school so I actually like having to work at something but the busywork in chem is annoying. I'm a freshman at South Dakota State by the way. I like it a lot so far, I just can't wait to get this chem course over with. Anyways, best of luck man.

11. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I just remembered a little tid-bit you might be interested in. Rumor had it that the frats and soroities kept old tests on file at their houses. Seems like some professors were too lazy to come up with a new test so they re-use the old ones. So it might be worth getting to know someone in the know, if you know what I mean.

12. mikey_d05

The engineering frat house has file cabinets full, already on it chief. :D

13. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

yep, me too...

14. mikey_d05

Welp, the quizzes are now electronic, he gave us 12 minutes to do a 36 question quiz. So we got six engineering majors together and went through it as a team. We barely got through the first one in time with six damn smart guys. Sometimes you've gotta stack the cards in your favor.

15. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just remember sometimes the class you think you need the least will be the one you benefit from the most.When my mother took her nursing courses they made her take a public speaking class.She thought it was the biggest waste of time for a nurse but in the course of her career as a nurse has used what she learned in that class far more than she ever thought she would.You just never know what the future will bring esp when starting out.good luck