Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Cherry Bomb lives up to it's name again!

Discussion in 'Rocky Mountain Region' started by 70jimmy, Jan 27, 2007.

1. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Well we started to put the bomb back together again this morning after 3 broken pushrods probably from some idiot tightening the rockers too much. I followed the instructions in my manuals which evidently didn't pertain to high lift cams.

So took it apart and bought all new pushrods, intake gaskets and gasket material. Put the new rods in and began adjusting rockers and noticed that evidently about the time the push rods broke it also loosened some of the pressed in rocker studs.:mad:

So back apart it comes, heads come off and off to the head shop to have screw in studs and guide plates put in. So probably a week or two before I can attempt to fire the new engine again. :rolleyes:

Guess it will make me appreciate it more when it actually fires.

For those that are wondering I replaced the above mentioned idiot (me) :haha: with someone with more knowledge!!

The saga continues...

2. fred2mihi

fred2mihi 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

YEAH BUT SHE IS STLL DAMNED PRETTY! She shines so nice she would make the DQ hang her head in shame! :):) Maybe the next time I come up for a visit she will be purring away.

fred2mihi

3. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Get a summer of wheelin' behind ya and you'll forget about all this hassle. We call it the "rosey sunglasses." :wink1:

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

Duane, I hope the end is in sight!!!!! If your hair was a little longer, you probably would have pulled it all out by now.:D

A little tip; Get an old set of valve covers, and cut a slot all the way across the tops-big enough to access the rockers. Install these covers for the initial fire up. That way, you can adjust the rockers while the motor is running. You might lose a little oil, and have some to clean off the new engine, but it COULD save you and your mech a bunch of time.:D

5. ivie29

ivie29 1/2 ton status

With the intake off it is really easy to get a base adjustment.Just install all of your pushrods and then turn the engine by hand until a lifter is all the way up. Then adjust the rocker on that valve, I dont know if your lifters are pumped up with oil yet or not but either way you should be able to see when the pushrod is just starting to compress the inner part of the lifter.This way you dont have 16 rockers tapping at you when you make your final adjustment with the engine running and you can just back one off at a time until it ticks at you then tighten it until it stops. I usually just go a 1/4 turn after it stops tapping, I've read in books to go a 1/2 turn but I dont like changing cams for flat lobes and have never had any problems with a 1/4 turn.

Also, are your valve springs rated for the amount of lift that your cam produces.That could cause your stud problems.

Nate

6. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Thanks for the encouragement. Yep hopefully it will make noise soon. Gotta take the heads off tomorrow and take them down again!

Ivie: yep valve springs, lifters, and cam all made for each other. Thanks for the tips

3 on the tree: Sounds like a good thing to do and I think I have a set of junkers around here.