Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

cherry picker hydraulic cylinders, rebuild or scrap or ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Aug 8, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

what do you do with them when the pumps quit working ? just toss them and buy new or what ? ive got one thats like two years old hardly ever used and the damn pump quit on it already, the shaft is like 1 3/16" a good heavy one and now its useless already

what do i do with it ?
    can they be rebuilt or is it cheaper to just buy new ? where at ? i live in cornfields where nothing is, what can i do ? now i have no way to lift engines and bodies, im screwed even more now,. i filled it all the way full and its still dead, it leaks around around the pump shaft down there, the big shaft seals were fine, it would lift anything you could hook up to the picker, always

are manual pump hydraulic cylinders like these disposeable or affordably rebuildable or what ?

anyone know of any places in central IL that touches these things ? ive never heard of or seen such place

thanks

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I had mine rebuilt, 'cause it started to leak. Cost me 35.00 and it still leaks!! There junk to start. I'm gonna replace it with a DECENT new one!

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Do you have a Rural King or TSC (Tractor Supply Co.) near you, maybe in Springfield or Decatur? I have seen them in these type of stores before, usually pretty cheap.

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Try looking at www.grainger.com this place has eevrything you could possibly think of and they have warehouses all over the place and will ship to you.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Northern Tool sells them too,but I suspect they are the same cheap china junk cylinders I can buy at swap meets for 50 bucks or less--they usually work ok for a few motor swaps then they leak or wont pump up anymore.If its just the pump part thats shot I think you can put new o-rings in it,but if the large shaft is leaking,you can probably buy a new cylinder cheaper than having it rebuilt. I'm hoping the one on my engine hoist still works,since I have to pull the trashed 250 six out of my 79(crane has been hiding under a tarp for 3 years since the last swap,indoors though). I was thinking of mounting a small 1500lb winch on it,especially if the cylinder gives me any greif--the one on my truck's crane has spoiled me--just push a button and up it goes.Either that or I have a worm type 2000lb.hand crank winch I could use on it.I'm hoping it works without any leaks--got enough work to do already! /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. JeremyK5

JeremyK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

long ram round bottom that is the sucker right there yeh the pump is dead, what happened is the short shaft of the pump got bent, dont ask how it happened lol

so i managed to bend the rod back straight to where its not jammed int he pump cylinder anymore but well now it elaks the seal/o-ring or whatever in there

so it needs new shaft and cylinder and seal

its a black one and model 81002 or 81003 or something like that, no name on it, nothing else cept warnings,

cheap one,

it worked fine til the pump rod bending incident

thanks all i appreciate